mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Nissan's are okay but not quite a Toyota.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

What I need to figure out is if the Taco is worth the ~$5k over the Frontier.

And that's a good point about being wary of the used market around here...

Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

Okay folks, I need y'all to talk me out of the Nissan Frontier. All the car rags say that it's clunky and outdated, but that's exactly what I like about it. It's a TRUCK. It's also cheaper than a Taco and Colorado, as mentioned. I haven't had a chance to test drive it yet, so just how problematic is the transmission?

Old 09-06-2017, 09:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
WOOP WOOOOOOOOP

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Bad mpg, bad gear ratio in the tranny... i mean thats all i can say. Do you plan on keepin it or upgrading later? The tacos hold thier value much much better.
iKNOWaFATman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

I have no plans to upgrade. I just want a truck to haul my motorcycles or outdoorsy stuff, and I just dig trucks. I would like it to be road-trippable, so if it's too cramped and janky I may just pass. And as such MPG IS an issue. I'm really interested in that 4-banger diesel that Chevy has, but that's a $30k truck... But all in all resale has never really concerned me.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
(V) (o,,,o) (V) WOOP WOOP

Honda Ridgelines are Odyssey vans in drag. Dont go that route.

We dont get many Frontiers in for big issues around here, though whether thats due to a small number overall or reliability overall is another thing entirely. I'd find myself a nice Canyon if I could. The wife of one coworker has one and loves it.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

In defense of the Ridgeline, I LOVE the trunk and the swing gate. I wish I could leave my tools in a truck overnight. The new Ridgeline looks like a standard pickup, and the resale on the used Ridglelines is super high.

The Frontier is really attractive because of the great cab. They don't have very good resale around here, and that has made me wonder about quality. Although, I have heard that Nissan and Toyota are the most well regarded car brands in Japan.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
WOOP WOOOOOOOOP

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
I mean the colorsdo zr2 tho.....
Attached Images

iKNOWaFATman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
(V) (o,,,o) (V) WOOP WOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyghost View Post
In defense of the Ridgeline, I LOVE the trunk and the swing gate. I wish I could leave my tools in a truck overnight. The new Ridgeline looks like a standard pickup, and the resale on the used Ridglelines is super high.

The Frontier is really attractive because of the great cab. They don't have very good resale around here, and that has made me wonder about quality. Although, I have heard that Nissan and Toyota are the most well regarded car brands in Japan.
This is all just personal opinon from working on all three, but generally speaking the Ridgelines are extremely difficult to work with mechanically. Not terribly expensive to to do so however.

As for Toyota and Nissan, the Frontiers seem to be more expensive to maintain than a Tacoma, but the Tundra is MUCH more expensive parts wise than the Titan. This is due mostly to the fact that the 5.7 Hemi Clone that Toyota calls the iForce has the starter tucked in right under the exhaust manifold, exposing it to extreme heat constantly.

Thus far we havent seen any of the new baby Duramax motors but I'd say those will probably prove to be pretty bulletproof.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

Don't forget road noise for your road trip.

We had fun taking the Subaru Forester to Big Bend, but the road noise wears you out. Tires can be a big chunk, but listen for other cars and wind noise. The Forester has a lot of glass that lets extra noise in. I got in a friends truck the other day and was struck by the amount of road noise it had, and it was just a different model year of the F150s I was used to.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage