mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:08 AM   #21 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

I personally like Nissan over Toyota. If I could afford to, I would buy a Frontier over pretty much anything on the market at the moment, but they are terrible for fuel economy like most Nissans.

The transmissions had problems with the trans cooler in the rad cracking and then getting coolant into the trans fluid, which then cooks the trans quickly if not caught fast enough. The best solution is to bypass the rad-mounted trans cooler with an external one, which solves those potential issues.

Frontiers are built on essentially the same chassis as the Titan, and both use a Dana44 clone for the rear end. They're a solid drivetrain other than the trans cooler issues.
And God turned to Gabriel and said: “I shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.”

“But Lord,” asked Gabriel, “Is this not too generous to these Canadians?”

And God replied, “Just wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.”

My Feedback

My Collection
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:08 AM   #22 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass and Wood Fan
Kilt Club
Is there a reason no one has mentioned a Ranger?
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #23 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

I know used is a good option, and I'll keep an eye out, but with all that has been happening in Houston, I think I'd rather get a new vehicle. And I need one now, so I can't really wait for the 2019 Ranger.

Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

The dealers were getting worried about having too much inventory. I think Texas will be helping with that.

Watch out for water cars at the dealer too. Some of those went under also. I think they have rules for those, but still...

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:22 PM   #25 (permalink)

I have had a couple tacomas. A bare bones 5 speed 4 banger 4x4 and my current 2015 Tacoma crew cab 4x4 SR5 auto.

Both have been great trucks. My current truck hauls my 15foot trailer loaded up with two bikes and a 700lbs ATV perfectly. I average about 17mpg in normal driving with a best of 22mpg best and worst 13mpg (towing into a head wind in the hills at 75mph).

Last trip up north towing I managed 18 mpg driving very calmly.

It's no power house but it gets the job done has been problem free for 40,000kms and is comfy. best compliment I can say as I don't think about it much I just drive the thing no matter we're or what I'm doing. It's a great dependable truck.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #26 (permalink)
Proud Member of UCSF

I only read the fist page but figured I would throw in my 0.02*

I bought a used 07 Tacoma (V6 TRD extended cab) in 2010 it had 136,000km (84,500 miles) on it when I bought it and it was part of a fleet now its over 300,000km (186,400 miles) and its still running strong so my opinion on Tacomas is that they are great trucks that run solid and are supper easy to do your own maintenance on if your into that, its not the best truck for hauling large trailers like a camper or a truck on a trialer but it can pull a utility trailer no problem. only thing wrong with my truck at this point is rust because I don't wash it often and live in Canada where we have winter.

As for the comments I saw on the first page about the bed liner I spent $50 on a large rubber mat (IIRC 4'x6') that I had to cut to fit around the wheel wells but otherwise it was a good fit and it protects the liner, best thing about it is how it will hold most things I throw back there in place like I throw a coolier back there drive to wherever get out and it hasn't moved.
Butch3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:38 PM   #27 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

if you can find a t-100 or better yet a hilux those are great trucks. my t-100 claims to be a 1 ton, has seating for 6, gets ok mileage, has pulled everything ive needed it to, and it's got 290xxx miles on original engine and transmission.
paintballsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:55 PM   #28 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

Welp, after a test ride, I actually really like the Frontier. It's no-nonsense. It has everything I want and nothing I don't. I even fit in it comfortably. It met all my expectations. The biggest potential problem (MPG aside [which isn't a super big deal as I don't really have to stack up miles]) is the turning radius. It steers like a boat, but it's comfortably sized enough to where I don't see that being a MAJOR issue.

Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:25 PM   #29 (permalink)
Bow Chicka Honk Honk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
Welp, Harvey did in my FR-S, so now I'm in the market for a smaller truck. I've always had a crush on Tacomas, but it seems the new Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon are pretty consistently better reviewed. I was wondering if you fine folks have heard anything about these or any other models that I should keep in mind on this search. I suppose used is indeed an option as well.
Get the Colorado/Canyon. They're made over here in Wentzville, Missouri in a UAW shop. Toyota/Nissan/Honda all make their vehicles in right to work states where they can hire non-union workers and skimp on benefits. job training, and safety training. If you were born here, raised here, work here, and pay taxes here, why give your money to a company that is just going to take all the profit out of this country? Yes, of course the overhead stays here in the states, but I would rather have all of my hard earned money stay in this country where it will do the most good for our economy.
Jahnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:23 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
Welp, after a test ride, I actually really like the Frontier. It's no-nonsense. It has everything I want and nothing I don't. I even fit in it comfortably. It met all my expectations. The biggest potential problem (MPG aside [which isn't a super big deal as I don't really have to stack up miles]) is the turning radius. It steers like a boat, but it's comfortably sized enough to where I don't see that being a MAJOR issue.
My newish f150 has a long turning radius, which is a pain in Houston. You have to really watch the u-turns. My other f150s turned better. Some of it is the front wheel drive section, but the wheel base is longer too.

We just got back from helping some friends gut their house. The guy opened his Mercury navigator after being mostly submerged. It was like a terrarium inside, dripping from the ceiling.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage