mcarterbrown.com  

The Garage Talk about your Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, and other Garage Related Projects.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:53 PM   #51 (permalink)
Intravenous Maple Syrup

It's an interesting choice, putting essentially a new design with an old heritage name.

On the one hand, the company is telling their consumers; if you liked that, we're offering this in it's place.

On the other hand, it seems like a new design should come with a new namesake, because it could be perceived as a cop-out. Even a "2.0" could be warranted in the case of the MR Vett, given the FR tradition.

Or, maybe I'm wrong and the name should live on to the performance hover car era.
Bang*Bang** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:24 PM   #52 (permalink)
Patient Zero

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
i can get behind this.. like the "new ranger"

they would have been a lot further along calling it an F-100

cause that thing aint a ranger IMO..

you can old stray SO far from the original design/intent before you have completely lost sight of the original idea.

not sure what they would call it in the vettes case though. Corvette MR?

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback

Last edited by Tracker; 08-27-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:39 PM   #53 (permalink)

one thing will be certain though, it will be fast; thats for sure...

but i believe, in a time when all people care about is 0-60 and how many tenths under around any given track a car is than another, that were losing the essence of what makes a fun car fun.

i picked up a beater off Craigs List for less than a grand. KA24DE Altima with the 5spd manual. Is it fast? no; certainly not, but damn is it a riot to drive. hammering though the corners, rowing through the gears, dropping it down to 4500 in the corner and driving it flat out with the engine screaming and tires howling... and looking down to see your still within the speed limit lol

it dosent have to be fast to be fun (but it dosent hurt) ill admit. but heres the flip side, just because its fast and may a tenth or so faster with an automatic dosent mean its automatically fun. *for me, the fun is in the engagement i have with the car while driving.
Tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:37 PM   #54 (permalink)
Patient Zero

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarsun View Post
one thing will be certain though, it will be fast; thats for sure...

but i believe, in a time when all people care about is 0-60 and how many tenths under around any given track a car is than another, that were losing the essence of what makes a fun car fun.

i picked up a beater off Craigs List for less than a grand. KA24DE Altima with the 5spd manual. Is it fast? no; certainly not, but damn is it a riot to drive. hammering though the corners, rowing through the gears, dropping it down to 4500 in the corner and driving it flat out with the engine screaming and tires howling... and looking down to see your still within the speed limit lol

it dosent have to be fast to be fun (but it dosent hurt) ill admit. but heres the flip side, just because its fast and may a tenth or so faster with an automatic dosent mean its automatically fun. *for me, the fun is in the engagement i have with the car while driving.
if you happened to see my earlier posts, im right there with you buddy

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:47 PM   #55 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

To paraphrase Chris Harris about cheap fun cars.

They allow you to enjoy performance for it's nature, and not because of it's quantity.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:08 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
i can get behind this.. like the "new ranger"

they would have been a lot further along calling it an F-100

cause that thing aint a ranger IMO..

you can old stray SO far from the original design/intent before you have completely lost sight of the original idea.

not sure what they would call it in the vettes case though. Corvette MR?
Ford has no interest in anything as basic and cheap and trustworthy as an 80s Ranger. Their target customer is a dentist who cosplays as a contractor. The F-150 is the new 5 series BMW and they cost just as much. They only want rich customers and not ones that prefer sedans. We’ll see how it goes for them.

My personal opinion is that engineering your cars like Audis and building them like Kias is a huge trap that’s going to kick their *** eventually. They’ll pay for it with layoffs or bailouts or something but meanwhile anyone trying to get a current gen Escape to last as long as the original one is basically screwed.
SignOfZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:43 PM   #57 (permalink)
Intravenous Maple Syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignOfZeta View Post
Their target customer is a dentist who cosplays as a contractor. The F-150 is the new 5 series BMW and they cost just as much. They only want rich customers and not ones that prefer sedans. We’ll see how it goes for them.

:

Next level insight.
Bang*Bang** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:29 AM   #58 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
PPS Fan
The Ranger name actually started as a upgrade package on the F series, I had a 78 Ford F-150 Ranger with a 460 big block. The mid size Ranger only stopped production in the America’s, overseas it has been going strong with Diesel power.
paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » The Garage