mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
UnSon of WALZ

Tangent: I've said once my current smart phone breaks or wears out I will go to a dumb phone. That time is almost nigh. I know all phones are required to be on the 3G network and GSM phones are incompatible. Does anyone hAve insight on cost effective options?
Bigtuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtuana View Post
Tangent: I've said once my current smart phone breaks or wears out I will go to a dumb phone. That time is almost nigh. I know all phones are required to be on the 3G network and GSM phones are incompatible. Does anyone hAve insight on cost effective options?
All modern flip phones work on 3g/4g networks. Walk into WalMart, buy $25 ATT Go Phone, put in your ATT SIM card. Done.
I only know ATT, I'm sure other networks are similar.
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Call me old fashioned but I like hardwirng almost anything. No interference from other devices and just more reliable all around. Easier and cheaper to fix too when the cord breaks as opposed Bluetooth.
somethingbenign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Unseen

Send a message via AIM to Vitamin J

Not true! I can't charge my phone and listen through the AUX in two of my cars because it creates a feedback interference loop, creates crazy static/ignition noise on the audio.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
Patient Zero

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
i mean ill be honest about the headphone jack, i dont ever use it.. but my issue is more about the arguement they use "well with the headphone jack in there, phones have to be a certain size because of how old the tech is"

show of hands.. who would rather have a thicker phone, with a bigger battery which would also mean that the headphone jack can stay put?

im debating getting one, mainly because my Nexus 5x is starting to show its age after 2 years.. and i have grown quite fond of "pure android"

i can get some trade in value on the phone which helps the sting of the price, but the prices of new phones really are getting obscene..

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback

Last edited by Tracker; 10-05-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rec Poster

At least with Android phones, there's a variety of devices to choose from that still have headphones jacks. But it's pretty distressing that all of the top-end Android phones are jumping on this bandwagon and eliminating useful features. I'm connected to the audio and microphone of my smartphone for many hours a day during conference calls, and listening to music/podcasts/audiobooks. The wired earbuds have been a totally reliable tool for audio conferencing, and I can plug in my nice headphones when I want to zone out the world while listening to music. For Apple, removing the headphone jack is a very obvious ploy to get me to buy their ****ty wireless Beats headphones if I want something sort-of-good-sounding. I have no idea why Android phone makers are following along, other than me-tooism.
Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Patient Zero

Send a message via Yahoo to Tracker Send a message via Skype™ to Tracker

CCM Fan
id guess they are using the same argument as apple "its just impossible to design a phone with all the features everyone wants, and keep that"

either that, or it screws with the waterproofing process too much... im just spitballing at this point

^And i did it while wearing a helmetcam^ in 1080P HD if you need proof
Trackers feedback
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Bacon? Oh God yes!

Fan of EMR
I haven't used a headphone jack for years. That's what bluetooth headphones are for. They're cheap...ish at $85 a pop and they last for like 4 hours before recharging which takes a half-hour. Big woop. I have two sets in my van, swap them out when they need charging and I can listen to podcasts all day.

I give my markers names.

New MCB Feedback[/SIZE]
Old MCB Feedback
Kermitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

For the foreseeable future, I will not buy a phone unless it has a headphone jack and removable storage.

I use the headphone jack every day to connect to my car stereo and I also charge it at the same time.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Not Northern per Mar

I want to get the new pixel just to be on Google Fi, but I also don't need a new phone my Moto Z is not even a year yet.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat