mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

Clothes Folks: $8 vs. $55

Alright, so, I'm curious as to y'all's thoughts on quality vs. quantity, and cost vs. brand recognition.

I just now purchased a Woolrich Trout Run flannel shirt from Academy for $55, and a Faded Glory flannel shirt from Walmart, in the same pattern, for $8. I'm very curious to see if one shirt is actually worth 7x as much as the other. I'll just take back whichever I don't want...

So what about y'all? You folks find spending a few extra bucks on clothes is worth it? Do y'all find the additional quality justifies the cost, or is it almost always in the brand?

Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

I have had terrible luck with Faded Glory, and my all time favorite flannel shirt was Woolrich. Having said that, I think a Faded Glory flannel shirt would be fine. It doesn't matter if it holds it's shape or fades... so why not go Faded Glory.
I just bought two flannel shirts from Costco for $10 a piece. They seem like excellent quality.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Nerd

No experience with either of those brands, but my general impression is that if you treat quality vs. price as something akin to a probability distribution, the middle two price quartiles are about equal in quality, but the highest and lowest are proportional to the quality. Which is to say the quality increases commensurate with price at the high end, and falls off dramatically at the low end.
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
IT'S TIME TO TOSS THE DICE
DarwinZDF42<--YouTube channel. Subscribe! "Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback

Selling a PPS Pug? I might be buying. PM me.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

you get what you pay for. since not sure how fast your going to have to wash the flannel shirt. i notice with wal-mart brand if i have to wash more then twice week it got used up faster. for some there products. have not tried flannel shirt but pants only and white dress shirts.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

Well, having just now been able to look at them side by side, the Woolrich is a much better shirt. But that's just gonna be true, so no real point in saying that. How much better was what interested me.

The Faded Glory shirt was just that: a shirt. It was a much rougher cotton, and much thinner than the Woolrich, which felt like a thing actually designed to keep you warm. The Faded Glory felt stiffer and scratchier as well, whereas the Woolrich felt like wearing pajamas it was so soft. I can see the relations that Diomedes was talking about. I am figuring that an actual flannel shirt around the $30 price range would be almost as, if not as satisfying as the $55 Woolrich, while anything less than that would be noticeably inferior. I'm gonna search around and see if I can find one from a department store for around that price range. If not, I'll probably keep the Woolrich, despite it being so damn spendy.

I guess the question of me getting my money's worth will have to be proven in time.

Last edited by Magoo; 10-22-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

I buy clothes rarely. I have no issue with "value", but have found that many of the advertised as "value" clothes suck pretty bad. For instance, IDK if you have ever purchased something from GAP/Old Navy, but they almost always shrink, rip, fade and go to hell within a few wearings...but they are cheap. I can go to Pennys and pick up recognized name brands like Wrangler or Levis and own them for years till they just plain wear out.

I am not a "fad clothing" guy. I buy classics, I buy basic, and I typically buy good. I have jeans in my closet that are likely older than many posters here.
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
Well, having just now been able to look at them side by side, the Woolrich is a much better shirt. But that's just gonna be true, so no real point in saying that. How much better was what interested me.

The Faded Glory shirt was just that: a shirt. It was a much rougher cotton, and much thinner than the Woolrich, which felt like a thing actually designed to keep you warm. The Faded Glory felt stiffer and scratchier as well, whereas the Woolrich felt like wearing pajamas it was so soft. I can see the relations that Diomedes was talking about. I am figuring that an actual flannel shirt around the $30 price range would be almost as, if not as satisfying as the $55 Woolrich, while anything less than that would be noticeably inferior. I'm gonna search around and see if I can find one from a department store for around that price range. If not, I'll probably keep the Woolrich, despite it being so damn spendy.

I guess the question of me getting my money's worth will have to be proven in time.
if money was issue you could do what i been doing for awhile do research on things your looking to buy. since you know if fit needs you want. with out wasting cash on it.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

As a side note to this. I LOVE to go to the thrift shop (what what, what what) and hunt through. Finding my size is a bear, but in the area I currently live it is really common to find good name brands with tags. $1.50 shirts and $3 jeans....
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Bigger Balls

Unless a quality metric is dollar value, it should come as no surprise that the quality has no causal link with dollar value. That said, there are not always times in which you can find a significantly cheaper alternative without sacrificing some measure of performance.

Clothing, in particular, is one where there is a huge market of overpriced goods available. In order to spend big bucks, it either needs to be a niche product without a viable alternative or be custom tailored for me.

Speaking of which...custom tailored footwear would be amazing. Anyone ever had a custom shoe last made?

edit: Also, I just have to say it... the phrase 'you get what you pay for,' is right up there with 'where's the beef' in terms of successful marketing slogans.

Last edited by Siress; 10-22-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Siress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

That's the reason I'm actually interested in these hard comparisons. The clothing and accessory market is FLOODED with "you're just paying for a name" kinda things. I was honestly hoping the Faded Glory shirt would be at least acceptable, and for $8, I'd say it certainly is for most applications. But it's not what I'm looking for, sadly. When you compare something decent to something cheap, it's hard to look at the cheap and say "that'll do." But money is indeed an issue for me these days. If I can find something that splits the difference between brand name and unrecognized quality, I'd be a happy camper.

All that said, I really do like this Woolrich shirt...

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat