mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

I like Bud.. Bottle not can.. Bud Bottle please..

Ebay, camocow200 (1400) + 100% positive feedback
darr_musi (750) + 99.9% Positive Feedback
MCB (350) + 100% positive feedback
woouulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Villiage Idiot

Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPrekel View Post
As a home brewer, I do admire Budweiser. Now, don't get me wrong, I do not care for it, nor will I drink it unless there is only Coors Light or bad tap water, and I would taste the tap water first, but I do admire what they have. Think I am crazy? Try brewing the same beer twice and have it come out exactly the same. Then try to do it all across the globe. So, I admire what they can do.
Mad credit for that consistency, and OH GOD do they sell!

End of a shift I was looking at the empties at the bar and we sold as much Bud if not more than ALL the other bottled beers combined so there sure is a lot of love. Can't even blame it on the price at that point because Friday nights all bottle beers are the same price.

Really my beef is that I have a hard time liking anything lighter than Amber it seems. There are a few "cheap" beers that I will drink but my preferance is almost always something with at least one of the following: darker color, unfiltered, high ABV, NOT an IPA.

Has anyone tried The new Bud Prohibition Amber?
Since this thread started with boobs what are we supposed to derail it with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Someone ban that painthappy dude
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmtnphantom View Post

Really my beef is that I have a hard time liking anything lighter than Amber it seems. There are a few "cheap" beers that I will drink but my preferance is almost always something with at least one of the following: darker color, unfiltered, high ABV, NOT an IPA.

Thatís me exactly. I canít stand the IPA craze. Itís like chewing on a freakin hop.

Havenít tried it yet

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
psunitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Paroxysm

I actually like bud. I like beer, I don't like it to taste like someone put fruit in it though, or is so thick it feels like tar (mild exaggeration .

I like craft beers, but they have to be enjoyable, some of them are just plain crap, but because of the fashion they are rated as 'good'.

Now off to watch the bud video and see what the cease and desist was actually about...
Old 12-06-2017, 09:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post
the majority of craft beers are actually purchased by the big breweries and sometimes allowed to continue producing the same beer
ie Bud makes some really good beers, like Elysian, Goose Island, etc.
FTFY

It's always a little bit disappointing when a craft brewer is bought out even if they are allowed to continue making the same beer. Yes now you can get the same great beers more readily (assuming they don't change the recipe for cost/shelf life/mass production) but it always seems like they come out with less new brews.

Town Crier 'please don't do this again' video was great though!
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPrekel View Post
As a home brewer, I do admire Budweiser.
It is a consistent light lager. When I was younger, and travelled a lot. I've found the most popular beer in every country is some light lager. ie Corona, Heneiken, etc. Oddly, even Budweiser is the most popular beer for most countries in Europe.

I don't hate them. Though I find the dimethly sulphide taste common in light lagers to be off-putting. I kinda feel the same way about most of the Maine-based beers. Nearly all the breweries (except Allagash) use Ringwood yeast, which creates a strong diacetyl taste. I know they want to have a "regional" flavor, but its not for me.

The IPA fad will pass. Its largely a result of the "great hop crash of 2007". Its complicated, but basically, back in the 90s, craft brewing exploded, and production of hops took off. In fact, far beyond demand. Large breweries started buying up all the excess to convert into extract (cheaper beer). This drove down the price for hops, and many farms stopped making hops.

The market stablized until 2005-2006 when a massive drought wiped out hop production. The big breweries burned up the extract supply, then demanded most of the hop production for themselves. By 2007, it was nearly impossible to find many popular hop varieties. This drove up the price, hop farms started again, and by 2010, production far, far exceeded demand, lowering prices.

So craft breweries started pushing IPAs again, as a way to differentiate themselves from all the big brewers. It is an easy no brainer. Hops are cheap again. Take any style, and add more hops. Thats less risky then using fruit, or spices, or exotic grains, yeasts, etc.

Anyway, there is another massive drought right now wiping out hop production in Europe. Big breweries will panic, and start gobbling up production. IPAs will die out for a while, or switch to high-alpha varieties. Hop is a tricky plant, since it can take years for a farm to start producing sustainable yeilds. This is why the cycle bounces back and forth every 10 years.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
PPS Fan
Try brewing any American style lager/czech/German pils. It's by far the most difficult beer to brew.

That punch you in the face hop taste from microbrewery startups is not quality beer. They are just covering up for poor brewing.

The only 2 I can think of that pull it off are Oskar Blues Mama's Yello Pils and Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold.

Also, the microbrewery versions of these beers are delicate so pay attention to age and buy from a reputable liquor store that hasn't tempature cycled them repeatedly.

So much science and engineering goes into making American lagers. They stay fresh on the shelf and consistently taste the same.

Even as a beer snob I do enjoy American lagers on tap and in glass bottles.
theangrydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
Money Pits 'R Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmtnphantom View Post

Yes. It's decent, but you can taste the alcohol in a 'bud ice' sort of way. Worth buying a six pack of just to get the old timey flavor.

Great move by Bud to use the crier. Good marketing can make up for a lot.

I'm a craft beer junky, but I'd rather drink a cooler full of bud light at a tail gate than nearly anything else (save 'gansett, love that stuff). A brew for every occasion.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:56 AM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

I like beer, if you are buying I'll drink whatever you buy. If I buy I tend to like the darker beers where you taste the toasted grains and hops are just a hint [another person not a fan of the IPA fad]. So Irish/Scottish/English stouts/porters and Doppelbocks are my preference but I can drink just about anything.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB Pyre Serial Number List
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Paintball Cheapskate

Call me crazy, but the only beer I like is of the root variety. Nothing like a good root brewski to wash down a meal.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat