mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
Who is he?
Short version: He is a celebrity chef.

And those are a dime a dozen. He was special because he did not automatically say everything was great. Instead, it was harsh, mean, and abrasive, but honest. He avoided anything mainstream, instead looking for great food in back alleys, in smoky corners.

Will be missed.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
this is another victim of mental health. RIP.

Mental health problems have such stigmas, we need to break them down now more than ever, as more and more people are affected every day.
it's not always mental health - back when my job was working for a place that ran luxury retirement communities we had to have in-service education regarding elder care issues and elder suicide is a big deal. For example George Eastman, founder of Eastman Kodak, committed suicide at 77 because of failing health. Without knowing the why it is hard to lay it at one cause. And for someone like Anthony Bourdain, who seriously abused his body when young with drugs and was a heavy smoker, etc., we don't know what sort of health challenges he was facing.

basically, it is a really complicated and tragic issue
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay
I agree with Don.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
don is on the path to everlasting coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
Drum called me a snowflake and it made me cry
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

sad to see this happen.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to indyjrt

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
That sucks,met the guy once and he helped me get on my flight home alot faster...he was pretty damned nice in person...RIP

Tell us the story. I for one would love to hear it. I've been a fan of his for years too. I read his book, I think it was his first one. I liked "No Reservations" and his current show on CNN.
"Lastly, there are numerous psychological effects of the use of stock class equipment. Because of the inherent rate of fire limitation, many stock class players put significant effort and emphasis on the development of marksmanship skills." - From Wikipedia

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
indyjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Mrs. Harbinger the void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored383 View Post
it's not always mental health - back when my job was working for a place that ran luxury retirement communities we had to have in-service education regarding elder care issues and elder suicide is a big deal. For example George Eastman, founder of Eastman Kodak, committed suicide at 77 because of failing health. Without knowing the why it is hard to lay it at one cause. And for someone like Anthony Bourdain, who seriously abused his body when young with drugs and was a heavy smoker, etc., we don't know what sort of health challenges he was facing.

basically, it is a really complicated and tragic issue
I don't have a huge problem with this. I respect a person's autonomy enough to allow them that ultimate choice. In fact I have a family member whom less than 2 weeks ago took advantage of Oregon's death with dignity law. 102 years old, looked 70ish, still could transfer, only needed minor assistance.

That said, the loss of Tony was a body blow. I'm a huge fan. The guy may have had a ton of personal stuff, was called a jerk by some folks, was deified by others. But he certainly was one of my personal heros. Rest in peace. We weep for ourselves at the loss of you.
spece108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spece108 View Post
I don't have a huge problem with this. I respect a person's autonomy enough to allow them that ultimate choice. In fact I have a family member whom less than 2 weeks ago took advantage of Oregon's death with dignity law. 102 years old, looked 70ish, still could transfer, only needed minor assistance.

That said, the loss of Tony was a body blow. I'm a huge fan. The guy may have had a ton of personal stuff, was called a jerk by some folks, was deified by others. But he certainly was one of my personal heros. Rest in peace. We weep for ourselves at the loss of you.
Looks like there is more to the story now. After publicly supporting his girlfriend Asia Argento in her Me too moment, she was photographed with another guy in a romantic situation. The pictures were published a few days before his suicide. Apparently he didn't get the open relationship memo. This may have been the triggering event the pushed his depression into a spiral.

"Right you are, Ken"

"Never marry a woman who hates Paintball"
BretG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretG View Post
Looks like there is more to the story now. After publicly supporting his girlfriend Asia Argento in her Me too moment, she was photographed with another guy in a romantic situation. The pictures were published a few days before his suicide. Apparently he didn't get the open relationship memo. This may have been the triggering event the pushed his depression into a spiral.
That's pretty goddamn rough. I remember reading an article he wrote showing his support.
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:44 AM   #18 (permalink)
I'm Comin' To Getcha!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjrt View Post
Tell us the story. I for one would love to hear it. I've been a fan of his for years too. I read his book, I think it was his first one. I liked "No Reservations" and his current show on CNN.

I was visiting in Las Vegas 07' (where I had lived from 02'-04') and was trying to get home. I was stuck in the ticket line for 2 hours and by the time I had gotten through security I had missed my flight. I was put on standby and scheduled to leave the next morning.I arrived at the airport only to wait in line again but this time the ticket line wasn't as bad,however the security check point was really badly backed up and I was at the back of the line. This man that at the time I had no clue who he was came over to me and said " Hey,Come with me,I'll get you around this line.No way we're waiting in it." He took me past everyone to the VIP area,got me through the check point in a matter of minutes and took me to the VIP lounge to wait for my flight. Told me his name and I thanked him for helping me and then he headed out to his flight while I waited for mine. I still didn't know just who he was at the time,but few years later I saw him on TV and I was like OMG He's the one who helped me! He was really nice to me and I'll always remember him for that,but I could see how he could come across as not so nice as his tone and abrasiveness was pretty apparent that day in the airport.
LPPC Member #71

Feedback

Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat