mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

Send a message via AIM to senghing27

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
13/3000 Paracord Tank Covers by Orpackrat: A Simple Review

Hey thar MCB'ers.
I recently purchased a 13/3000 Paracord Tank Cover from Orpackrat.
The following is my thoughts on the product. Enjoy!

--------- The Back Story ---------
<---Old pic, just wanted to put a face with the name

I've been playing paintball for some time now and the 13/3000 and the 45/4500 are the two HPA tank sizes that I love the most. I'm a smaller framed player and well, big tanks are a bit too much for me. As with any reasonable owner, I like to protect my gear and tanks are no exception. My 45/45 is nestled lovingly in a NXE tank cover and my 13/3000.... Nothing really. I tried beer coozies and well, it looks like junk and is by no means durable.

DO NOT WANT!!!

So I've always been looking for a suitable tank cover alternative. There was someone a while back who was doing chainmaille, but I want something a tad bit more simpler and well, less flashy. I'm playing paintball, not going to a fashion show.

So fast forward to last Sunday. I saw a thread about Orpackrat's Paracord covers and said to myself, "These look nice, I sure would like one". Unfortunately all were sold and he didn't have any left. So I cried a bit on the inside. The next day, Orpackrat posts that he has another one available. I quickly pm my info and purchase one. Two days later a small box arrives on my doorstep.

------- The Cover --------
So let's get this out of the way. This tank cover is DURABLE!.
I've have no prior experience with paracord and it is something else. I've read a little bit about the material and there are websites that sell paracord emergency bracelets for not so savory events. I guess my tank cover could save me in such an event... but that's something else.

The cover is woven together with a very intricate weaving and is fastened on the ends with elastic shock cord. There is one noticeable seam where the materials meet, but it is merely cosmetic.

To put this cover onto the tank, you use your fingers and try to hold it open at an angle and slip the cover on. It is similar to various other covers of various sorts...
IMO, to get the cover on, it's a pain.

You really have to exert some finger muscle, but after some trial and error, I finally got the bugger on.
Once the cover is on, it doesn't rotate around like other tank covers because there is still pressure on the tank which is kinda nice. If you try to make the cover rotate on the bottle, it will, but when you really need to pull the bottle off your marker, it will, unlike other tank cover that I've used. You know that feeling when screw the bottle off, only to turn the cover about three times... yup, this cover doesn't do that.

------- Practicality / Use --------
It's a tank cover. It protects your tank. Simple as that. It does what it needs to do and it offers ample protection for your 13/3000 tank.

Using it on the field is another thing. It is comfy when you shoulder it. I've never really had a problem with the 13/3000, but there is something about having a cushioned pivot point (like tennisball end or those tank grip butts) instead of the bottle.

I did manage to get shot in the tank twice or so. I know one is a for sure shot and the others are probably smears from the bunker or spray. When I got home, I pulled the tank cover off and threw it in the washer with the rest of my stuff. The paint came off and it looks good as new. I'm not sure if there will be color fading or if there will be that "paintball fatigue" residue (you know that hazy color you get some some gear). If it does happen, I will update this review when I have gotten to use it over a longer period of time.

------TL;DR / Conclusion ---------
Pros
-Comfy
-Durable
-Easy to take care of
-Doesn't rotate/move around on the tank (secure)
-Awesome seller

Cons
-Takes some muscle to put on the tank

Final Conclusion
If you want a tank cover for your precious tanks. This is something to consider. Price is very affordable, great color options, and is uber comfy. I've been very happy with my purchase and would not hesitate to buy another.

Hope you all enjoyed my review!

Want to buy one?!11!
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...acord-$35.html

Last edited by senghing27; 06-29-2011 at 11:57 PM.
senghing27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Thank you for the review.

https://walkons.proboards.com/index.cgi?

FS Custom 13/3000 Tank Covers Paracord $35
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/m...ord-%2435.html
Orpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Want to see my spaceship?

Nice review, the "goatse" picture was the best part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senghing27 View Post

All jokes aside, this was a really good review. I really liked the up close shot to show how the paracord is crochet together. You definately made an interesting color choice but it does go very well with your marker. Too bad instead of the yellow it was orange.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Springfeed the world.

Solid review, and I have to say, that CCM is BREATHTAKING.
RAZRBAKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

If I didn't already have chainmail covers I would deffinitely jump on these.

Shives
shives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
SAS South Western Ontario

where can i buy them? and how much shipped to canada?
SAS-Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS-Paladin View Post
where can i buy them? and how much shipped to canada?
Here's the link. As for shipping to Canada, I'm not too sure
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/misc-paintball-items/163225-fs-custom-13-3000-tank-covers-paracord-$35.html
Old 06-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tubular!

CCM Fan
Might've mentioned in the review and i glazed past it, but how well does it "stick" when you shoulder the tank? I've got grip tape on the end of my 13/3k now cuz the tennis ball kept slipping, but an entire cover would be ideal.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Serving Tea for CCM

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdcore View Post
Might've mentioned in the review and i glazed past it, but how well does it "stick" when you shoulder the tank? I've got grip tape on the end of my 13/3k now cuz the tennis ball kept slipping, but an entire cover would be ideal.
Nerdcore, the grip isn't as crazy as grip tape. I have an empire jersey with the grippy gel dots so my mileage will vary from others.

It's a lot sturdier than the tennis ball and because of the weave, depending on how hard you shoulder it, the "grippyness" can be changed.

So on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being uber slick and 10 being stuck on glue, I give it a 6 on the grip stick scale.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Tubular!

CCM Fan
Not bad, not bad. My grip tape starts out grippy but it wears down, now it's about as slippery as the bare tank. Paracord sounds like it'll at least retain its medium grip. Heck, i'll give it a go, still does its main job perfectly.

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It