mcarterbrown.com  

MCB Reviews It MCB Reviews it! Have a review of a new gun, or old gun you just tried? New Mask or Gear? Let us know what you think.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Nerd

BT SA-17. Yeah, I'm a few years late on this one...

...but I finally got one and put it to work. So here's what I thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_D5_Krtwh8

If you prefer words:

Pros

It's a pistol - light and compact.

Based on Piranha platform - simple and reliable. The entire drive train slides out the back for easy cleaning and oiling, and there are only a handful of orings and seals to worry about.

Pretty quick reloads - the rotating plug is WAY better than having to remove a plug to reload paint. Spring feeds like these can be modded to be faster, but out of the box, this system is quite good.

Interchangeable barrel inserts - not something you see on most pistols. Unfortunately, I think they're only available with the "rifle" kit, but it's a nice feature.

Closed action - keeps grime out, so it's less likely to jam. And that's always good.

And if you don't want to use the spring feed, you can swap it for a standard feed neck very easily.

Cons

Oh my goodness the nerfed 12 gram change is terrible. No way you can do that in game. It effectively kills the marker.

Larger and heavier than most similar pistols. This is due to being based on the Piranha platform - it retains the full-length bolt, while most other STBB pistols have a very short bolt, which allows the marker to be shorter overall.

Related, it's a small thing but that stupid slide safety makes disassembly a pain. It's just too easy to lose the little spring and ball bearing. Use a normal damn frame instead of leftover Piranha parts.

The efficiency is right where you'd expect it for a STBB pistol - usable shots on a 12 gram in the low 20s. Which is fine. Not great, not terrible. Perfectly serviceable.

Price: It's been a while since these were available new, but I think they were $120, at least at first. Now, it's trivially easy to find them used for $50-60.

Overall, the SA-17 is a perfectly okay STBB pistol. If the 12 gram changer was better, it'd be an excellent STBB pistol. As it is...it's okay. Just try to avoid having to change cartridges in game.
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
IT'S TIME TO TOSS THE DICE
DarwinZDF42<--YouTube channel. Subscribe! "Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My MCB feedback

Selling a PPS Pug? I might be buying. PM me.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Stock Class Jackass

I love my SA17. I can't get into the whole mag-fed thing, but I occasionally want to play pistol. Personally, I removed the forward nerf clip and used a thin piece of plastic to shim the remaining clips toward the piercing assembly. I love that it's incredibly simple to service, too.

Near Houston TX? Check out the
Houston Area Stock Class Group
Mithuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

i had the rifle kit with mine . had a 12g changer on the asa and was way better.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Stock Class Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingmac View Post
i had the rifle kit with mine . had a 12g changer on the asa and was way better.
That's a good idea.

Near Houston TX? Check out the
Houston Area Stock Class Group
Mithuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
All Hail Harb!

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingmac View Post
Yup did the same.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
Overall, the SA-17 is a perfectly okay STBB pistol. If the 12 gram changer was better, it'd be an excellent STBB pistol. As it is...it's okay.

which ones do you prefer over this one?

I miss STBB pistols man. loud as f

great for keeping kids off the lawn
mc702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
10 round tubes for life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc702 View Post
which ones do you prefer over this one?

I miss STBB pistols man. loud as f

great for keeping kids off the lawn
The T68 Gen3 is my go-to, if only because I got it exactly how I want it to. Then again, it'll be hard pressed to find something similar, but it should be easily doable with the SA-17s removable barrel. I did the following:

Speed-Load Mod by getting a hole placed in the magazine
Replaced Drop-Out with Lever changer
Bored out the inside to allow freak inserts

Now with the SA-17, one of the two big deals is already done, the lever changer. The speed-mod could be done easily. For the freak inserts, I would either find the right barrel that fits and chop it down to size, or find someone willing to try and bore out the stock barrel for freak inserts. Will be tough, but do that and you've got a sweet pistol. Just mind the spare parts...
Zeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
the oddballer

Mine is out getting freak bored by vitalsilence. It looks awesome was surprised because doc or one of them told me it probably wasn't possible
https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...feed-back.html

Last edited by killerito; 08-30-2017 at 12:22 AM.
killerito is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » MCB Reviews It