mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 09-21-2007, 02:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
B
Retro grouch

Use water first then use plexus, only use blue/ white shop towels (on a roll or in a box) After an impact the lens should be replaced after all how much does a new eye cost .... yes that is right it is irreplaceableness.

I think we are being hit by a tsunami of stupidity.
Paintball is a game of honor, play it that way!

Nelson Owners Group

RIP Grifyn
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuss View Post
NO PLEXUS/WINDEX!
I understand not using windex as it eats the coatings on the lenses... but Plexus is made for cleaning them...

Wiping will damage your karma and adversely affect your Pump Fu.
My Photo Page: Jet Photography
Shocker03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:53 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuss View Post
Spray it with a lot of water...
now...I used "lots of water" once before and it leaked between the panes of the lens of created a perminant fog between the panes, so I know the "lots of water" advice is bad advice...
TheBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Sh*t, I'm a mod?

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
I never understood the "Replace after 1 hit" idea.

for lots of people that would be a very expensive afternoon, and think of the cost to rent a mask. I am pretty sure they are engineered and spec'ced for multiple impacts.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
TeamADW.com - Maker of Jeep ThingsOld Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

I have never been able to get a lense as clean as it was the day I purchased it. I usually just wipe the mess of paint off with a towel and buff the rest off with a dry t-shirt.

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Sh*t, I'm a mod?

Fan of EMR
Brass and Wood Fan
thats probably because the paint fills microscopic pores and the cleaning scratches them just a little.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
TeamADW.com - Maker of Jeep ThingsOld Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

I hope this helps new and oldies like me...if you have a double layer lense and it starts to come apart and fog up...take it out of the goggle and place it on a towel in the oven...set the oven at it lowest setting and keep the oven door cracked open a bit to release the heat...now be careful..you don't want to melt the lense..I stood by and watched it until it gets really warm..almost to hot to touch...pull it out and set it on the counter or table with towel under it...when it's comfortable to touch...well not really, but don't get burned...press all the way around the seal...hard...keep doing it until it cools..the heat should get all the moisture out from between and reactivates the seal....hope this helps...back to the post...soap and water...microfiber or silk cloth..it seems to help here in hot florida to "coat the inside and outside of the lense with soapy water the night before and wait until the morning to clean them up..and it leaves an invisible film.....no fog problems...
Never use papertowels and make sure no sand or grit is on whatever you use...

Last edited by RealtorTommy; 09-21-2007 at 05:34 PM.
RealtorTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:14 AM   #18 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
I never understood the "Replace after 1 hit" idea.
It's just the mask manufactures way of covering their own rear ends incase something happens. That way they can't be sued.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Yeah, there is no way those lenses need to be replaced after 1 direct hit.

Once a year is a safe bet.

Besides that...

You guys a crazy!!! Doesnt anyone care about what they see?

I buy the costco packs of microfiber towels. They are something like 5 dollars for 10 or 20, some kind of incredible value.

Shoot spray bottle at the lense during the game till the paint is off .. keep the water from dripping into the rails and potentially getting on the inside..if the inside is clean leave it alone because its a pain to access.

Once the paint is sprayed off.. dry the lense with the microfiber.

Everything else leaves material all over the lense, and paper towels do scratch the crap out of them.

The reason paintball lenses are so susceptible to scratches is because of the properties of the material they are made out of. Things that arent designed for impact usually arent scratched so easily, but if you clean your paintball lense with a regular old rag, it will look shabby in no time.

Then again, alot of you guys have played a lot longer than I have.

I just really really really hate paintball masks, I hate how they feel and how they restrict my vision. Because of that, I try and make my experience as non miserable as possible and part of that is a lense I can see out of.

PSA: To post direct images when using imgur or other hosting site, copy the "direct link" url in between these image tags [img]yoururlhere[/img]
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
For gits and shiggles

I've found baby shampoo to be VERY nice for clearing away paint residue and the grease trail it leaves behind. It also serves as something of an anti fog agent from what I've been able to notice.

I've been using paper towel all this time though, I'll have to pick up some microfibre clothes ...
hank_k is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport