mcarterbrown.com  

New To The Sport Just started playing? Been playing for a while, but you have a question you should have asked years ago? Drop a line, we answer

Old 03-26-2008, 12:50 AM   #21 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhileyOFish View Post
Yeah, but I mean WGP has the whole "Most Accurate Marker in the World" because it's closed bolt. I think we all know how that goes.
That's true. I've spent a lot of time correcting people about that one as well...

Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:16 AM   #22 (permalink)

Smart Parts killed the Excal/Viking and its continuing run as well as further development of e-mags, that alone is enough reason to boycott them for rest of time.
janordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:27 AM   #23 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

There are some misconceptions in regards to AGD. Tom Kaye himself said they were going to stop making E-Mags. They were terribly cost-ineffective, and weren't turning a profit (which, even with respectable companies such as AGD, was a big deciding factor), so when SP gave them the C&D, they didn't hesitate. E-Mags, as awesome as they were, were doomed from the start.

Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:28 AM   #24 (permalink)
Not Popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
I don't agree with that. All technology reaches a point where innovation stops and refinement becomes the goal. Look at automobiles, aviation, computers, just about anything with technology in it and you'll see that there are certain milestones and then years of refinement before a new milestone is reached. Paintball markers and loaders are in a refinement stage right now. Sooner or later a whizbang new invention will come about and the revolution will begin again. Smart Parts doesn't stop anyone from doing anything, they just make them pay royalties before they do it.
yeah they did.

for no other reason than now no one wants to go out on a limb to make something new and innovative. in any industry its typically the small companies with nothing to lose and everything to gain make all the huge leaps in technonlgy, but with smart parts in the picture, they cant. they have no reason to even try. so we are left with the big, slow companies who dont care much, becuase they have a name and anything they make will be accepted as god.

also, of any electronic guns ever made, E/X mags and AKA guns were far and away the best shooting guns made. just think what they would ahve made by now if in 2k3 and 2k4 they were making stuff that has yet to be topped?
Cockerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:45 AM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

I think we should send a terminator back to the early 90's & stop this whole SP problem before it started........starts.......happened?
relief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:23 AM   #26 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post

Yeah, their business practices suck, but then again so do those of a lot of major companies - we all still buy Nike products, we all shop at Walmart. Companies like that are a juggernaut that we aren't going to topple any time soon - short of the Gardners developing dementia and deciding that losing millions of dollars is exactly what their business needs, we're going to have to put up with them (and companies like them). You don't need to like it, and you can decide to not buy their product, but there are over 6 billion people on this planet - each one a potential customer -so you're just a drop in the bucket. (I'm using a generic term to describe the average consumer, not the original poster or any subsequent posters.)

Jordan
Isn't that the argument that there is no use doing anything because "you are only one person"? That is ridiculous. Groups of like minded people can in fact initiate change, and going along with the flow just because "I cannot make a difference" is ignorant and unfortunate. And no, I do not buy Nike, and I do not shop at Wal-Mart.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #27 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Club
I don't buy Nike or Walmart.

I don't buy from Nike because $200.00 for a pair of sneakers is idiotic. I don't buy from Walmart because of some VERY snarky business practices that seem to be par for the course for them.

I don't buy from Smart Parts because of their business practices either. I may not be able to change the world with my wallet, but I do make choices that reflect my views.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:49 AM   #28 (permalink)
Post Whore

robertsr reflects my views on that pretty much perfectly.

i refuse to support companies i cannot abide by.

Walking_Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:14 AM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeTrevni View Post
There are some misconceptions in regards to AGD. Tom Kaye himself said they were going to stop making E-Mags.
That is not exactly what Tom said on AO. More specifically, he said the E-Mag program was very expensive, comlpex, and time consuming.
He did not want to risk loosing all that investment by being sued by Smart Parts.

To say "They were going to stop anyway" sounds like trying to save face. They hype over the X-Mags was incredible, as well as with the Pneumags.
The bottomline was that AGD itself was no longer profitable, and the company was on its last legs. They had no choice but to give in to Smart Parts, and save what little was left of the company.

Quote:
I don't agree with that. All technology reaches a point where innovation stops and refinement becomes the goal
Sometimes that is true.

Sometimes innovation stops because conglomertes take over the industry. There are endless examples, but a common one is the beer industry. When the "big 3" bought out the 1,000 or so breweries in the 1950-60s, the end result was the end to variety, an end to innovation, an end to exploration.

Instead, they focus simply on making profit by producing whatever is most profitable.

So the obvious question we have to ask ourself is, is the current plateau because of industry manipulation, or that simply technology has reached that point you talked about.

I think I would agree that in the late 80s, the pump market certaintly plateaued, and in the mid 90s, the mech market certaintly plateaued. But has the electro market plataeud today? Perhaps.

I honest can not think of any real technology improvement in the late 10 years, but I believe that is more because of the conglomerization of the industry, and not specifically because we have "already discovered everything".

nick

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge

Last edited by HP_Lovecraft; 03-26-2008 at 11:20 AM.
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:31 AM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

three words HP.

Paintball Rail Gun

Walking_Target is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » New To The Sport