mcarterbrown.com  

Paintball News The latest in paintball news brought to you by the oldest independent publication in paintball and the best paintball site on the web - The Paintball News and MCB

Old 06-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #31 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

/\ Basically the same thing as a keycam. I like my keycam, but the difference is night and day between a higher end goggle cam and a keycam.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #32 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I'd still go with my $38 #16 1280x720 hd 808 camera.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
-Vince Lombardi

Here's my feedback thread: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
TrueTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #33 (permalink)
Post Whore

Yep there are several like the 808 and there have even been improvements on the 808 out there. All for less than $100.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
I haven't got money to throw at this, nor do I know much about this kind of thing, but this MIGHT just be the end-be-all to making the perfect mask cam.
Believe it or not these are made by the same big players that make one of the top 5 action cameras, one of these = GoPro, Contour, Drift, Liquid Image, Oregon Scientific. Not going to say which one though. The cost price of the unit is in the high $XX range unlike the 1080P keychain cameras going on eBay which don't compare in quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundadun View Post
So add a Bluetooth and a phone app so you can adjust image,
sew the board and battery into a bounce cap to protect it,
And pop the camera behind your lens( between your eyes)?

Hmm, what does it record onto?
I am actually experimenting with connecting a small RF video transmitter to the component video output so it can be converted into a wireless security camera or use a wireless view finder. Records on MicroSD card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadawg View Post
micro sd
so you would have to add a mic if you want sound recording?
saves you time track leveling in iMovie if you are editing, you can just lay up the video and dub in music.

possibly put it inside one of those life proof cell phone cases and then just lead out the lens wires to mount in mask with the life proof case containing board etc. in the straps. Heat shrink wrap the wire leads for extra insulation and protection.
It has an onboard microphone but its just for basic audio. Once you connect an external audio source to pin 8 (+) and pin 9 (ground) it will override it. I connected a $10 spy ear and got amplified sound. The GoPro actually captures a lot better audio as you can see is this comparison video clip I just uploaded = hackhdcamera - YouTube

These can mount in a lot of places since they are really small. I was going to mount one on my front bumper by taking off the lens, drilling a hole, slipping it through so the PCB is behind the lens, putting back on the lens, and wiring it up to my car battery wiring up the status led and button on my dash somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by russc View Post
It was mentioned in the other thread that it can fit inside a GoPro case. By those measurements, I'd say that's about right.
That is correct, it was not intended to fit the GoPro case but it is a perfect fit. You need to use the skeleton housing which make the terminals could be accessible. I have a video showing it fitting but Vegas keeps freezing when I try to render it so give me a day or two. I uploaded a couple pictures here for now = HackHD Photo Gallery

Quote:
Like I mentioned...it's GoPro threaded!

Ragecams carries a huge range of Gopro threaded lenses. They're a bit pricey, but I'm not sure where else to snag em. Maybe direct from Sunex, but they aren't trying to be a retailer.

GOPRO HERO HD 1080P 16MM CMOS LENS NARROW VIEW OPTICAL | eBay
I just noticed that the GoPro is using a 16mm threaded lens? The HackHD uses a 12mm threaded lens, I thought they were the same because the wide angle part of the lens are identical sizes but I guess the threading is different. You can get lenses for this board at m12lenses.com. They were nice enough to send me a couple samples which I tried out and they worked fine. Still trying to find a good pinhole lens for the HackHD though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarakian View Post
Seems to me it would be a simple operation to remove the lens from the board, build a nice extension cable for it, and then re-attach.
We requested something like this from the manufacturer but they recommended the lens / sensor be as close to the PCB as possible to prevent any bad feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
I like this project; video quality is very sharp -- you might be able to out-Gopro Gopro (at least the HERO1).

However, the worst thing about the Gopro is the form factor, which you have seemingly replicated. So everybody is back to square one scratching their heads and wondering how to mount the thing.

Which direction is even "up" on the imager? Is that configurable considering it's a 9MP sensor?

Speaking of configurability... being able to program the thing for different applications might be nice.

One of my peeves with the Gopro is the lack of programmability, even though I'm certain that the hardware underneath is very capable. If it can't be reprogrammed to do simple things like an intervalometer or continuous-recording-mode-with-event-save type stuff... might be a tough sell. Sure, the intervalometer could be external... but that's more crap to buy and wire up when the hardware should be perfectly capable of doing it. Probably not applicable to paintball, but more for other applications.
The up is when the terminals are on your right side with the camera lens facing away from your eyes. You could always use sony Vegas to rotate the video, its pretty easy as I just found out.

We are actually working on a continuous recording feature for the HackHD which is 2-3 months away from being available. It will basically delete the first 4GB video and rewrite over it as the memory runs out so you can run this thing forever if you have an external power supply and have 6-8 hours of footage on a 32GB microSD card when it needs to be reviewed. Going to make a great taxicam or security cam. Can also connect to DVR with the video out to record continuously at 720 x 480 resolution on it and then have the board recording contentiously in HD so when something does happen, you have the HD footage.
hackhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #35 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Wow, those M12 lenses are ridiculously cheap compared to the Gopro lenses.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #36 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackhd View Post
I am actually experimenting with connecting a small RF video transmitter to the component video output so it can be converted into a wireless security camera or use a wireless view finder. Records on MicroSD card.
By the way, I think you mean "composite video", not component video.

Quote:
The up is when the terminals are on your right side with the camera lens facing away from your eyes. You could always use sony Vegas to rotate the video, its pretty easy as I just found out.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but rotation is not a smartrender-able transformation; loss of quality will be involved.

If possible, it's best to get the camera to do it.

Quote:
We are actually working on a continuous recording feature for the HackHD which is 2-3 months away from being available. It will basically delete the first 4GB video and rewrite over it as the memory runs out so you can run this thing forever if you have an external power supply and have 6-8 hours of footage on a 32GB microSD card when it needs to be reviewed. Going to make a great taxicam or security cam. Can also connect to DVR with the video out to record continuously at 720 x 480 resolution on it and then have the board recording contentiously in HD so when something does happen, you have the HD footage.
Continuous recording is a dicey feature which needs a significant amount of thought put into it. In "dash cam" mode, as soon as the thing is powered up, it should start recording. The button would then control "event capture". If you just saw something interesting, then you would press the button, and it would save the video to a save directory that won't be auto-deleted. So say the thing breaks the videos up into 5-minute intervals -- when the button is pressed, the previous 5 minute interval is saved off, the current video is immediately saved, and the next 5 minute interval is saved. You also need to gracefully handle the poweroff event.

Date/time stamp is also helpful, at the very least on the files. Does this have an RTC?

The intervalometer is nice for RC usage -- say I want to just throw the thing on an RC plane and take full 9MP photos every 2 seconds. No extra timer board, no servo shutter control, just plug and go.

There are some other programming modes that I could think of that would be useful for me; more along the lines of security camera usage. How’s the standby power drain on this thing? Can the live-preview circuitry be turned off to save power? And how’s the low-light sensitivity? Is the IR filter removable?

My real point was that, if possible, the thing should be user-programmable. Right now you are sort of mimicking the Gopro’s form factor as well as its lack of features, which is probably a bad place to be.

Just some stuff for you to think about.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Like I mentioned...it's GoPro threaded!

Ragecams carries a huge range of Gopro threaded lenses. They're a bit pricey, but I'm not sure where else to snag em. Maybe direct from Sunex, but they aren't trying to be a retailer.

GOPRO HERO HD 1080P 16MM CMOS LENS NARROW VIEW OPTICAL | eBay
The Ragecams guys really know their stuff. We just sent them a camera, hopefully they can make some cool stuff for it
hackhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:30 AM   #38 (permalink)
blah blah stuff stuff

CCM Fan
It'd be pretty cool if they made some kind of 90* adapter so when you mount the camera to your gun/mask there is a lower profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaction View Post
I always just assumed it was magic elves. i mean, it's really the only logical explanation, really.
MCB Feedback AO feedback TechPB feedback PBN feedback
DAVID(GEN) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #39 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Biggest issue for me on this camera is cost. $140 plus if I plan to use it for paintball I'll be needing to buy a Gopro case which is $40 so I'm looking at $180, plus I'll probably need some mounts for either my marker or mask which will cost me about $20 for the basics ones. So I'm already up $200, not to mention I'll still need a memory card. A gopro hero with several mounts and a case retails $240. If I did a little searching I'm sure I could find it on amazon or some other website for about $220. So we are looking at a $20 difference to get a gopro vs a hackhd. In my opinion for $20 more I would definitely take a Gopro. All the problems have been worked out. All in all if the price of Hackhd was a little cheaper then what its posted at ($130), I would buy it. Me personally I would still take an 808 camera right now. An 808 camera goes for $38. You can make a case out of a tick tac box for $2, or mount it inside a mask by doing the 90 degree mod. Get some .67 or 180 degree wide lens for $5-10and you've almost got the same fov as a gopro (not quite but almost) and you've only spent around $50 in all (excluding the micro sd) and you have decent hd 720 quality. Here are a couple comparisons below I found on youtube (BTW I think 808 quality is comparable to all the other high end camera's out right now):

808 #11/#16 (watch in 720):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx9EuS-fg4Y&feature=related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=590OPJDiZ-U&feature=plcp
Hackhd/Contour+/Gopro (watch in 1080):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xjVl3ks5kg&feature=plcp
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
-Vince Lombardi

Here's my feedback thread: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
TrueTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #40 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTexan View Post
Me personally I would still take an 808 camera right now. An 808 camera goes for $38.
So what's stopping you? Where are your videos?

Quote:
(BTW I think 808 quality is comparable to all the other high end camera's out right now):
No.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Paintball News