mcarterbrown.com  

Photography Grab your camera and video equipment and head on inside!

Old 11-22-2019, 05:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

I apologize for all the questions haha. If I see or hear “looking for a camera” I get carried away. I’ve worked in a Photo Lab for a few years and worked the electronics department for 3 years at a Costco. I currently own and operate a Photography business. I tend to go deeper in details then Im supposed to. Olympus and Nikon makes rugged waterproof point and shoot cameras that fall in your price range. You could get a regular point and shoot camera and have money left over to buy a spare battery or memory cards. But like Gabe said its pretty much the same as a cellphone. Point and Shoot cameras run about $50-$200. Shock proof and waterproof point and shoot cameras run about $250-$400. Mirrorless/interchangeable lenses run about $400 and up. Thats brand new prices. Here are my brand recommendations... standard point and shoot(NIKON) waterproof point and shoot(Olympus) mirrorless(Sony). If you end up going with a DSLR I’d look into a Canon. There are so many camera choices its impossible to know which is the best or even which is a decent camera. All the recommendations people have been giving are really good.
Splitstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm going to start following up on all your suggestions
Old 11-22-2019, 07:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

I forgot to add that you definitely need to budget a little extra for extra SD cards, spare battery, and some photo editing software. The SD card is a necessity as the cameras never come with one but for the full experience you'll want a spare battery (they run out at the most inconvenient times) and some good editing software. Sometimes if you buy new the camera manufacturer (I have a Canon so this is all I know for sure) will give you a free copy of their photo software that you can use the camera SN for the registration code.

And there's also camera bags, straps, lens cloths/blowers, and a myriad of other stuff you'll find out that you really want to have. The most recent discovery of mine is lens filters. It's amazing what a good ND or Polarizing filter can do to your image quality depending on lighting.
Gabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
playing with old toys

Location: in a second hand set of dimensions on an astral plane that was not meant to fly

Check out brick & mortar stores in your search, I've found that most that I have dealt with will throw in free lessons to help you learn and get more out of a new camera if you want it.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
Hey all,

Haven't made a decision yet. I'm trying to shop small this year and I'm planning on checking out a couple local joints. I'll update you lot once I do.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Post Whore

Also watching this thread, looking to start dipping my toes in photography to combine with my music. What should I buy MCB?
estin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Below $400: Canon EOS Rebel T6or SL2/SL3
At or above $400: Olympus OM-D EM10
Above $1k: Sony A7iii

Just for funsies I was hanging out at Best Buy last night and tried a bunch of cameras. I found out that the Sony Alpha A6000 is hot trash (IMO) and the lowest end Sony that was easy to use was the A7 series. The canons still dominate the SLR arena with the Rebel series and have great assisted modes (aperture priority/shutter priority) as well as great auto. The Canons don't have as intuitive a full manual mode as there's only one adjustment dial on the lower end models so you have to change the other exposure settings through a menu on the back screen which isn't bad but it's not quite as fast as the Oly's dual dials and the Sony's full suite of controls.

Overall: just getting into photography go with a Canon Rebel and snag a couple extra cheap lenses, I recommend the 24mm f/2.8 lens and either a 50mm prime lens or a telephoto lens depending on what your'e shooting. If your budget allows then getting into the Olympus mirrorless cameras is a great step up and they might be a little easier to learn on with their instant feedback of what your lens is seeing. If your budget REALLY is not limited the Sony A7 iii is the absolute beast and is amazing for the money.

For "lifestyle" or "adventure" photography a smaller body is far better. The Olympus OM-D is absolutely tiny and takes equally small lenses but is far better than it's size would hint at. Probably the best option in this category. I also checked out the Canon M50 (their small body mirrorless) and it seems like a great entry level option with great auto modes and just enough things to fiddle with to make you feel like a real pro. Build quality is cheap however so keep that in mind.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
For "lifestyle" or "adventure" photography a smaller body is far better. The Olympus OM-D is absolutely tiny and takes equally small lenses but is far better than it's size would hint at. Probably the best option in this category. I also checked out the Canon M50 (their small body mirrorless) and it seems like a great entry level option with great auto modes and just enough things to fiddle with to make you feel like a real pro. Build quality is cheap however so keep that in mind.
Thanks Gabe! I was looking at the OM-D this week and was curious about it. I've had good experiences with Olympus cameras in the past and the local shop has a used one for a good price.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDread View Post
Thanks Gabe! I was looking at the OM-D this week and was curious about it. I've had good experiences with Olympus cameras in the past and the local shop has a used one for a good price.
DO IT!!!!

My mom and brother both got OM-D's and absolutely love them. The lens selection is the absolute best and they take actual professional grade photos. I'm a big Canon guy but if I were to upgrade to a better camera the OM-D would probably be the pick.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Welcome home

Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
DO IT!!!!

My mom and brother both got OM-D's and absolutely love them. The lens selection is the absolute best and they take actual professional grade photos. I'm a big Canon guy but if I were to upgrade to a better camera the OM-D would probably be the pick.
Righteous! I'm working a half day tomorrow and plan on doing a bunch of errands and Christmas stuff so I'll update you all tomorrow evening with my decisions.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Photography