mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 03-03-2018, 01:30 AM   #371 (permalink)
MagMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdcore View Post
I've been seeing used copies of The Division at work for a very reasonable price. Is it worth starting now? I have a few online friends that play casually, but schedules don't always line up. Is there a lot of content for solo players? Any dlc that's necessary in your opinion(s)?

For reference, my play preference is mostly pve, often solo, and i'm exclusively PS4.
I have an xb1 copy Iíll send you for shipping if you want. I never got into it. Skyrim is too good haha
ScottyBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:11 PM   #372 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
I've been seeing used copies of The Division at work for a very reasonable price. Is it worth starting now? I have a few online friends that play casually, but schedules don't always line up. Is there a lot of content for solo players? Any dlc that's necessary in your opinion(s)?

For reference, my play preference is mostly pve, often solo, and i'm exclusively PS4.
The Division is a bit like Diablo 3 in the sense that you will be running the same content over and over again at different difficulty levels to increase your gear score. If that style of gameplay appeals to you then it's worth checking out, especially at a sale price.

I haven't played since the last patch but the game is definitely in a better place than it was at launch. You can do everything solo, except for the highest difficulty missions, and you can always use matchmaking to team up with people.

The 3 DLC packs do add new content to the game but none of them are really required. Underground adds randomized pve maps and missions to a new sewer/subway system. Survival adds pvp and pve survival mission/map, and Last Stand adds team deathmatch. If you don't do a lot of pvp then I'd say stick with Underground and skip the rest.

My opinion as someone who has a lot of hours on the game.. It's a fun game but may get boring after a while. Especially when you've seen everything, done everything, have the best gear. I generally wait for a new content patch before playing again, have fun everytime though.
CCM Photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:42 AM   #373 (permalink)
Tubular!

Well I picked it up. But after level 24, it's too difficult to solo. Starting to think $4 was too much to pay...
Old 03-28-2018, 12:35 PM   #374 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Well I picked it up. But after level 24, it's too difficult to solo. Starting to think $4 was too much to pay...
Are you replacing old gear with higher level gear? Enemies can be very bullet sponge-y and kill you pretty quick if your gear is too low of a level.

The game is very much about min-max stats, equipment, and abilities.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:51 AM   #375 (permalink)
Tubular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM Photographer View Post
Are you replacing old gear with higher level gear? Enemies can be very bullet sponge-y and kill you pretty quick if your gear is too low of a level.

The game is very much about min-max stats, equipment, and abilities.
I've made it to lvl 29. I trade up gear as much as possible, but most stuff i find isn't an improvement. Usually, i have to buy a piece of higher gear from some random vendor, then wait until everyone restocks and check them again. Majority of items from both enemy drops and vendors are either slightly worse or much worse. Crafting usually results in poor rolls despite what the craft station list shows.

For the most part i'm getting by. Main missions don't usually give me problems. It's side missions or roaming yellow-health-bar jerks (elites?) that result in multiple repeat deaths, depending on the mission. I'm starting to get side missions where enemy waves come from opposite sides simultaneously, so i essentially have no effective cover and thus no chance.

There's one roaming elite in particular, he's Cpl. whoever-the-hell, roams the streets randomly and doesn't seem to have a set neighborhood he's confined to. If i engage, his red-bar bros drop easy enough but then he simply rushes my position immediately and it's over. He never flinches from gunfire or grenades. He's a lvl 25. Now when i see him, i hide and wait for him to pass, or double-back and go down a few streets to avoid him.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:44 AM   #376 (permalink)
MCB Member

Hey man, so you are still technically in the beginning of the game where it is challenging. Arguably also the most fun is to be had right now in the game. Keep playing missions you can win for gear ave keep crafting, you'll get there.

Once you hit level 30 you start the end game and grand gear grind. You open up all the additional content, dlc you own, and start progressing based on gear score. Here is the truly hard content which for most you'll need to team up. Your gear setup will also start to matter a lot more and you'll need to combine gear that compliments your play style.

Magfed Hurricane with T15 Mags
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:47 PM   #377 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
I've made it to lvl 29. I trade up gear as much as possible, but most stuff i find isn't an improvement. Usually, i have to buy a piece of higher gear from some random vendor, then wait until everyone restocks and check them again. Majority of items from both enemy drops and vendors are either slightly worse or much worse. Crafting usually results in poor rolls despite what the craft station list shows.

For the most part i'm getting by. Main missions don't usually give me problems. It's side missions or roaming yellow-health-bar jerks (elites?) that result in multiple repeat deaths, depending on the mission. I'm starting to get side missions where enemy waves come from opposite sides simultaneously, so i essentially have no effective cover and thus no chance.

There's one roaming elite in particular, he's Cpl. whoever-the-hell, roams the streets randomly and doesn't seem to have a set neighborhood he's confined to. If i engage, his red-bar bros drop easy enough but then he simply rushes my position immediately and it's over. He never flinches from gunfire or grenades. He's a lvl 25. Now when i see him, i hide and wait for him to pass, or double-back and go down a few streets to avoid him.
You have elites and then you have named elites. Elites are basically tougher versions of purples (veterans) and you'll mostly find those in the Challenging mission difficulty and above. Named elites are like mission bosses and there are 13 roaming around the map. They have a chance to drop unique gear and respawn once an hour.

For wave missions, or just soloing in general, try using the flamethrower turret and airburst seeker mines. The damage may not be great but they provide excellent crowd control which means enemies aren't shooting at you.

Enemies will shoot at the turret. They will also run from seeker mines. The "on fire" effect that both give prevents them from shooting you too.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:03 PM   #378 (permalink)
Tubular!

I'll give turrets a go. I've been using shield and health to stay alive. Hit 30 this morning, and maxed out The Base. Which perks should i equip?

A psn friend joined me earlier and ran some higher tier missions. Loaded me up with loot, which should help. I'm not usually online when others are, so multi-player isn't usually an option.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:02 PM   #379 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
I'll give turrets a go. I've been using shield and health to stay alive. Hit 30 this morning, and maxed out The Base. Which perks should i equip?

A psn friend joined me earlier and ran some higher tier missions. Loaded me up with loot, which should help. I'm not usually online when others are, so multi-player isn't usually an option.
I don't remember all of the perks I took or their names but IIRC I picked perks for medkits, fire damage, and headshot pulses. The Division is a good example of "The best defense is a good offense". Endgame is all about killing as fast as possible.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:42 AM   #380 (permalink)

i think i might pick this up for the PC
YoroSaru is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in