mcarterbrown.com  

Plugged in Online Gaming, and Technology

Old 06-12-2019, 03:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Plays on the cheap

E3 2019

[SPOILER ALERT] IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN ANY E3 STUFF AND WANT TO BE SURPRISED, DO NOT CONTINUE READING. [/SPOILER ALERT]

Anyone keeping up with E3? Watch any pressers, trailers, gameplay or other announcements? What do you all think? There's been some great announcements this year. I haven't perused the full list of games announced across all the devs/publishers, but here's what caught my eye:

-Dragon Quest 11 (Switch ver.) Never played a DQ game. This will be my first 'cuz I'm getting it. Period.

-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. I loved this game back on the Gamecube. If this gets combo couch/online co-op then my wife & I can play this with my brother & his wife.

-Zelda: Link's Awakening. Remake of the first Zelda game I've ever played. Not 100% sold on the visuals, but people weren't sold on Windwaker at first (& look how that turned out ) so I'm inclined to give this one a go.

-Pokemon Sword/Shield. I'm a big Pokemon fan. More a fan of the older games, but the visuals here are the best we've seen in a Pokemon game. Will buy.

-BOTW SEQUEL! This was at the very end of Nintendo's E3 Direct. I'm super excited but I would've been more excited for news on Metroid Prime 4. Oh well. This will do, and do very nicely.

-Doom Eternal. Looks pretty amazing, even considering how amazing Doom 2016 is. Will likely buy.

-Mana Collection. I have no need for this, but Seiken Densetsu 3 was never released outside of Japan. Pretty notable.

-Cris Tales. I don't have a PS4, so I won't get it (it's exclusive). Looks beautiful though. I hope it does well.

-Contra: Rogue Corps. Not a huge Contra fan, but I did have a blast playing the original years ago. The visuals did not impress me in the least, though it's still in development. Will wait & see.

-Elden Ring. Looks great, like many of From's games. I will need to see gameplay before I decide to buy. If it's like Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3 I will pass. The gameplay in those games is honestly too fast/precise for me. I'm more Dark Souls 1 speed, lol.

-Halo Infinite. Sucks that it's a launch title for the next gen Xbox. I really don't feel like giving money to Microsoft after the BS story in Halos 4 & 5 and an unrelated customer service issue (guy literally laughed at my issue over the phone). MS doesn't deserve my cash, but I've been along for the ride this far... Will probably try at some point, but not on my dime.

-Phantasy Star Online 2. Holy crap! I did not see this one coming. Been wanting to play this for a long time as I'm a PSO1 fan, but it's also a 7 year old game. No clue how long their servers will last. The only way I will get this is if there's an offline mode for at least the base game (which I'm not counting on) and if I can get one used (see Halo Infinite bullet). But if there's an offline mode you bet I'm getting a copy. Used, of course. And I will lose myself in it.

EDIT: According to Siliconera Cris Tales will be on the Switch and Xbox as well. May have to try it. Also, apparently PSO2 is FTP. Which likely means that there will be no offline mode. Oh well.

Last edited by glaman5266; 06-12-2019 at 05:17 AM.
glaman5266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
here 4 the memes

I watched the trailer for Elden Ring, cool looking teaser, the info I found is it's an action adventure rpg. So if it's anything like Dragon Age or the Witcher my wife will be all about it.

Games I'm looking forward to:

Borderlands 3, great to see more gameplay with another vault hunter
Cyberpunk 2077, Keanu is cool but I was sold on this game months ago
Outer Worlds, the more people compare it to Fallout New Vegas the more excited I get
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, best thing I heard from someone who had hands on was it played like a Star Wars Dark Souls

Last edited by Salmon; 06-12-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Fleeing Pickle

Kilt Club
I'm not hardcore by a long shot, but I love Metroid and was super bummed that there wasn't any new information about Prime 4.
JonnyDread is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Trilogy Apologist

I haven't actually seen the new trailer for Cybepunk 2077 but I'm super excited about it. Have been since the gameplay video from last year.

Doom Eternal looks cool as well... but I'm also somewhat skeptical. A lot of the level design is looking a little more like Metroid than Doom. Like, makes no sense kind of stuff.

Those are the only 2 games I'm particularly interested in.

I'm a little disappointed that the next gen consoles are coming out. I was hoping the current gen wold last just a little longer. I don't want to have to buy a new console to play ES 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Thompson View Post
Who is this Chad Thompson you all are talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Wood View Post
ooh look at that over there!!! Jeremy Salm riding a giant rainbow-coloured unicorn!!
Virtus Et Peritia
magmoormaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Borderlands 3!!!!!!!!!!!

If ya'll don't know they just released a new DLC for BL2 (for free until July). Ties in 2 and 3 for the upcoming adventure. New toys! New monsters!

Magfed Hurricane with T15 Mags
seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

The BL2 DLC is awesome, I binged it that day haha. There's some cool new weapons and it's good-sized too, like maybe 3/4 the size of the other expansions.

The new star wars game looks awful. I'm so over playing as another Jedi who somehow escaped Order 66, it's a boring hacky trope at this point. Gameplay looks repetitive and slow too. How EA managed to completely squander this license is breathtaking. I bet Disney wishes they kept LucasArts now haha.

Avengers game looks awful, especially after how good Spider-Man was. They should have gone for designs that are significantly different than the MCU's instead of ones that look like cheap knock-offs. The voice-acting leaves a lot to be desired too. Feels like they spent all the money on getting the big names and then had nothing left for a director. The fact that they have a demo and aren't showing it off sends up red alerts too. The couple reviews I've seen have said it's not good.

On the other hand Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 looks awesome. The last one was one of the best superhero games ever, so excited they're bringing it back. If you've never played it, it is totally embraces comic books and the amount of really obscure characters they throw in is awesome.

The Xbox Gamepass thing is cool. I don't own an Xbox and barely play consoles in general anymore except for exclusives, so having all those games on my PC is great. I picked it up that day and already have like 5 games I really wanted to play picked out. Not sure if I'll stay subscurbed, but might grab it here and there to play some new stuff.

Cyberpunk looks better and better every time they show it, I so hope it lives up to the hype.

All the new Zelda stuff looks awesome, can't wait for the Necrodancer one to release tomorrow. The BOTW sequel has me pumped!
Old 06-13-2019, 03:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Plays on the cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyDread View Post
I'm not hardcore by a long shot, but I love Metroid and was super bummed that there wasn't any new information about Prime 4.
I know. I remember when they announced MP4 two years ago. I literally jumped out of my seat. I was so happy. I understand that the game development was restarted, but I was really hoping they would give us at least a little something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofpaint View Post
The BL2 DLC is awesome, I binged it that day haha. There's some cool new weapons and it's good-sized too, like maybe 3/4 the size of the other expansions.

Cyberpunk looks better and better every time they show it, I so hope it lives up to the hype.

The BOTW sequel has me pumped!
Nice. It sucks for us with the 360 or PS3 versions. Seems like it's only for the Handsome Collection or for the Steam version of BL2. Do I pick up a used copy of THC or say screw it? Hmm.

Don't know much about Cyberpunk. Never played a CDPR game, actually.

I have over 230hrs on my BOTW save. Sure, gimmie more!

Last edited by glaman5266; 06-13-2019 at 03:54 AM.
glaman5266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Fleeing Pickle

Kilt Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaman5266 View Post
I know. I remember when they announced MP4 two years ago. I literally jumped out of my seat. I was so happy. I understand that the game development was restarted, but I was really hoping they would give us at least a little something.

Nice. It sucks for us with the 360 or PS3 versions.
Same dude, MP1 was one of the most amazing games that came out for the GameCube. I just got ZeldaXpro cables for my old console and I've been replaying a ton of my favorites. I never played MP2 or MP3, wonder if that will be an issue?

I would love to dive back into BL2, but I also only have it on console and my PC is too old and cranky to run it properly.
JonnyDread is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
here 4 the memes

Handsome collection is free on PS4 for Plus subscribers fyi
Old 06-13-2019, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Plays on the cheap

I'm on Xbox and I prefer hardcopies. Picked one up from the Gamestop after grocery shopping his morning.

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » Plugged in

« Photoshop | - »