mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   Canada (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/canada/)
-   -   Electric motor experts around? (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/canada/174249-electric-motor-experts-around.html)

PAINTBALL GUY 3 08-30-2011 04:26 PM

OK, there are actuly 2 wires comming directly from the motor, a white and black one. There is a third wire that is connected/wraped to a spot inside the " junction box", it is green. This wire goes on into the main bundle of wiring.

ApoC_101 09-01-2011 01:58 PM

yea thats single phase, the green is a safety ground/fault, the black is your power and the white is the neutral. so, it's 120V, not 208 or 240, from the sound of it. on 120V wiring, that motor you put up a photo of will draw 13 amps. wiring will correspond to the wiring diagram as dukie said.

PS, I am so glad to be running 3-phase in the shop now, so much easier to wire motors and so much more efficient... should look into a rotary 3-phase converter, you will get way more efficiency out of your power bill running that way, if you use your equipment lots. luckily I didn't need a converter as my unit is 200 amp 3-phase wired :thumbup:

Keys_JR 09-01-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApoC_101 (Post 1987322)
yea thats single phase, the green is a safety ground/fault, the black is your power and the white is the neutral. so, it's 120V, not 208 or 240, from the sound of it. on 120V wiring, that motor you put up a photo of will draw 13 amps. wiring will correspond to the wiring diagram as dukie said.

Houses are wired for 240 single phase your 240 outlet for driers and washers are all single phase. Standard houses are not wired for polyphase at all.

If you do run it on your 120V outlet ApoC is correct it will draw 13 amps, as such you will not be able to run much else on your standard 15 amp breaker.

After rechecking the photo of the wiring diagram the only one that might work is the second one in the middle column. The bottom wire that connects the two coils should be your ground, or the green one, and the other two I don't know for sure, but if you hook it up one way and it doesn't spin then reverse the other two leads.

PAINTBALL GUY 3 09-01-2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keys_JR (Post 1987352)
After rechecking the photo of the wiring diagram the only one that might work is the second one in the middle column. The bottom wire that connects the two coils should be your ground, or the green one, and the other two I don't know for sure, but if you hook it up one way and it doesn't spin then reverse the other two leads.

THIS, is the info that I've benn waiting for!!!! I will see if I can find the time to try this out tomorrow. Will report back with what happens.....

Keys_JR 09-02-2011 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAINTBALL GUY 3 (Post 1987992)
THIS, is the info that I've benn waiting for!!!! I will see if I can find the time to try this out tomorrow. Will report back with what happens.....

I don't know for sure so don't get your hopes up too high, but I think this is right.

sparky 09-03-2011 11:31 PM

I searched the motor online... You can still buy it new by the looks of it.

That motor is cutting it close on your CB, .... Nothing else should be on this circuit. This lathe alone drawing about 13 amps which is about the max you should run ever on a circuit (about 80% of the rated circuit breaker).

Did it work?

PAINTBALL GUY 3 09-04-2011 03:04 PM

Well, just got done playing with the motor I was able to get it running, but its still running in reverse.(as I was able to do when I first started the swap)

Sparky - Would be so kinda as to post up a link? Maybe I can contact the company and see what thay have to say about this.

Thanks.

Ti

dukie 09-04-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAINTBALL GUY 3 (Post 1990927)
Well, just got done playing with the motor I was able to get it running, but its still running in reverse.(as I was able to do when I first started the swap)

Sparky - Would be so kinda as to post up a link? Maybe I can contact the company and see what thay have to say about this.

Thanks.

Ti

flip the switch the other way.

PAINTBALL GUY 3 09-04-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukie (Post 1990945)
flip the switch the other way.

You dont think I tryed that?

dukie 09-04-2011 08:11 PM

Did it do nothing or run in the.same direction?