mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   The Dead Zone (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/)
-   -   Freak ACP Barrel Tips - Basically straight rifling with a different claim. (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/dead-zone/327099-freak-acp-barrel-tips-basically-straight-rifling-different-claim.html)

William the Third 01-03-2020 03:51 PM

Freak ACP Barrel Tips - Basically straight rifling with a different claim.

Just saw these over on ANS. It's basically straight rifling claim that it helps expel crap from the barrel. Not sure I buy it. Just looks like a gimmick in an attempt to get people to buy yet another barrel (tip) when they've already got a perfectly good/functional one. You know, kind of like "3D"/Curved TVs. Does look like it will be slightly more difficult to clean with such deep grooves.

From ANS
Quote:

Originally Posted by ANSGear.com
https://i.imgur.com/4KR9Uk5.jpg
With its ability to adapt to changing paint size and quality without requiring a gear bag loaded down with barrel backs, the Freak barrel system set the world standard for portability, performance and flexibility. In its latest generation with 8-inch control bores, the Freak XL barrel system is even better, delivering improved efficiency and consistency. Now the Freak ACP barrel fronts are taking on rough weather, mud and even paint fill.

​Taking their name from All-Conditions Performance, the Freak ACP barrels combine the power of the Freak XL system with an all new barrel front designed to keep going through the worst field conditions. On the outside four rows of barrel porting help equalize air pressure in the barrel with the outside air for a smooth and quiet transition from acceleration to free flight. On the inside the Freak ACP sports an all new look. Sixteen rows of smoothly transitioned grooves and rails bring the benefits of straight rifling to the Freak XL.

​Rather than spinning the paintball with a spiral rifling pattern, ACP straight rifling provides the same linear path as a traditional smooth barrel while being better equipped to cope with the barrel fouling that comes with rough weather. Once the paintball exits the Freak XL control bore, it literally rides on rails through the length of the barrel front. Dust, mud, paint fill or rain can literally be blown out of the way into the grooves of the ACP rifling, rather than wedging between the ball and barrel wall where they cause off axis spin and hook shots, or worse- binding and breaking the ball in the barrel. Field proven by some of the world's top players through their development cycle, ACP barrel fronts shoot cleaner, faster when the going gets rough. They put more paint on target in less time, which is the Freak XL's winning advantage.

psycho91 01-03-2020 04:16 PM

Been done before, more hassle then anything if you ask me

Diomedes 01-03-2020 04:18 PM

Well that doesn't seem like a giant gimmick or anything. Nope. Definitely not.

paintzapper 01-03-2020 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William the Third (Post 3643322)
Does look like it will be slightly more difficult to clean with such deep grooves.

You are exactly right. You "clean" the barrel but the thick paint goop is still in the porting/grooves and is hard to clean out. The first few shots may be good but then you need to clean it out again.

RAP4/MCS does this with their recon barrels, but all the way through. I have to run it under water to get all the gunk out.

I can see it being useful for really crappy weather and conditions, but the edge will still go towards smoothbore for everyday games.

Riot 01-03-2020 05:53 PM

People love wasting money on barrel stuff.
See: Freak Inserts.

Washington reign 01-03-2020 06:05 PM

I’m surprised no one has linked the LoneWolf test of this barrel

paintzapper 01-03-2020 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Washington reign (Post 3643362)
I’m surprised no one has linked the LoneWolf test of this barrel

I found the video it to be meh, limeted, and not testing any weather conditions (wet barrel, rain and mud constantly entering the barrel) and short range accuracy testing with zero conclusive data for actual results vs standard barrels.

Even a gooped barrel will perform decently well at that range they were testing at. How about a target further away so we can see the spread?

Gabe 01-03-2020 07:11 PM

The Phantom barrel uses this same thing for the last inch or so of the barrel and I don't see anybody complaining about the accuracy. I know Mike wasn't a fluid dynamics engineer to be able to say how the straight rifling works but it doesn't seem to hurt the accuracy of Phantom barrels. My AKA Javelin also has straight rifling for the last inch or so and it shoots straighter than my other barrels of a similar bore size with the same paint.

Just food for thought.

psycho91 01-03-2020 07:21 PM

But if you look at the phantom barrel the rifling is where the porting is so I think it has more to do with that then anything

screwloose45 01-03-2020 09:47 PM

Will this feature a third thread variation so they can resell the same barrel for the 28th time?

Aloha_Tradin_co 01-04-2020 03:56 PM

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of rifling?

Axel 01-04-2020 04:33 PM

I'm sure it's on par with all the other scientific claims made by Smart Parts over the years.

autococker04 01-04-2020 04:46 PM

I shot one of these this weekend, chopped, and it actually does shoot through a break pretty well.

MrKittyCatMeowFace 01-05-2020 05:53 PM

barrel dont matter if your home fields paint always has dimples or oil on them. :'(

Gabe 01-06-2020 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psycho91 (Post 3643380)
But if you look at the phantom barrel the rifling is where the porting is so I think it has more to do with that then anything

To be fair, this barrel also has porting where the "rifling" is. It's just a much longer ported section than either the AKA or Phantom barrels.

Interl0per 01-06-2020 09:33 AM

Can't wait for the ramrod to make a comeback

JonnyDread 01-06-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interl0per (Post 3643857)
Can't wait for the ramrod to make a comeback

Ah, a fellow man of culture I see.

440SUPERCOMMANDO 01-08-2020 05:54 PM

Omg! I was thinking this the second i saw this, and could not for the life of me remember the dang name!

NotBrian 01-08-2020 09:38 PM

this barrel will never be clean

Cunha 01-09-2020 04:58 PM

Paint gets stuck in grooves. It sucks.

Rdav 01-09-2020 05:34 PM

I have one of the straight """rifled""" barrels I accidentally bought from mcs,
Not only is it a major pain in the *** to clean, it also looses a ton of efficiency, and also still has a few bad shots after a break before it clears it properly, not great

Legolas 01-09-2020 07:13 PM

you had me at "grooves to expel debris." With that kind of logic, what else could go wrong?

iamthelazerviking 01-10-2020 03:14 PM

Another gimmick barrel from the biggest pushers of gimmick barrels lol

tjd10684 01-10-2020 08:32 PM

This looks to me like a manufacturing cost saving method trying to be marketed as a feature.

The ridges are probably raw extrusion with only minimal turning done to the ID to get the bore close. You can see the inside has not been honed from the pictures I have seen have that rainbow cd kinda effect in the barrel. This the sign of a fine turned finish but no secondary honing. With the right fixture the barrel can be indexed such that the porting is in the grooves. This again reduces the need for secondary operations such as honing and deburring all of the holes.

autococker04 02-04-2020 05:37 PM

https://youtu.be/DejSb0nL_X4

Bringing this back from the brink. I'm not sure that he could have missed from this distance, but it does look like it clears out pretty quick and minimizes further breaks.

lew 02-04-2020 05:49 PM

Seems to do what is advertised. Good luck to them.

chodeyg 02-06-2020 09:34 AM

i definitely believe it will get trapped in the grooves. expulsion is another story.

Tracker 02-06-2020 11:29 AM

this is for the "underbore" guys i think

ya know the ones that think that having the back so tight that you need a swab to force it through.. the ones where it blows up every 20th shot or so

atomicleaf 04-08-2020 06:42 PM

Every test I've seen with this is only testing the tip. Sure it clears out, but so does a regular barrel when it's only the tip. Most breaks are actually at the back of the barrel, at the breech. I'd love to see this barrel tested with a real breech break, but none of the tests I've seen have done that. Probably for a reason. All I know is that every time I've ever had a break with a freak kit, it's been game over for accuracy until I get a chance to remove the barrel and completely swab it out using water.

The only way this might work for real world breaks is in a one piece barrel with the grooves going all the way back to the threads. But then your efficiency would go to crap.

lew 04-09-2020 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicleaf (Post 3670785)
Every test I've seen with this is only testing the tip. Sure it clears out, but so does a regular barrel when it's only the tip. Most breaks are actually at the back of the barrel, at the breech. I'd love to see this barrel tested with a real breech break, but none of the tests I've seen have done that. Probably for a reason. All I know is that every time I've ever had a break with a freak kit, it's been game over for accuracy until I get a chance to remove the barrel and completely swab it out using water.

I was thinking the same thing.

To be fair to the Freak, with a tight bore fit, I've been able to shoot it clean in twenty rounds or so. I only had two breach-end barrel breaks the last time I played, however. I'm paying more for better paint next time.:rolleyes: