mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   New To The Sport (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/new-sport/)
-   -   RAP4 Shotgun (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/new-sport/37444-rap4-shotgun.html)

daniam 04-11-2008 07:35 AM

RAP4 Shotgun

sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask, but why doesn't anyone own any of these hot looking mil-sim guns?
does RAP4=fail or what?
https://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...hotgun5001.jpg

this just looks like alot of fun to play with, and i have yet to see a single picture or mention of this marker in any paintball forum.

foughtwolf 04-11-2008 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniam (Post 368349)
sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask, but why doesn't anyone own any of these hot looking mil-sim guns?
does RAP4=fail or what?

this just looks like alot of fun to play with, and i have yet to see a single picture or mention of this marker in any paintball forum.

One of the guys here did a review and a running upgrade of that partiqular marker type.

It was pretty horrid actually, the breach did not meet the barrel/bolt right, the power tube is a proprietary part made of brass, thus its easy to destroy and a replacement is just un-godly pricey.

Mar 04-11-2008 09:44 AM

Russc here has done substantial work on his, and now (I believe) considers it one of his primaries. Perhaps you should shoot him a P.M.

He has linked us before to a site where they featured mods and improvements to this marker.

EDIT: here is alink to his initial review.

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/d...8-shotgun.html

daniam 04-11-2008 09:52 AM

cool, thanks very much.
it screams "play with me, buy me!!" when i see it.
but, if its all looks, and no reliability, i think it might crush my soul

kinda like a hot girlfriend

foster 04-11-2008 11:47 AM

Mine has been a rollercoaster ride, Russ fixed the breech break problem...But the process requires sear work. I love how it feels but cant trust it.

russc 04-11-2008 12:10 PM

I've heard from some new owners that RAP4 has some sort of rubber grommet detent that both stops roll outs and (I assume) centers the ball in the chamber. Still, I wouldn't buy one unless you are prepared to make it work.

Azzy 04-11-2008 12:44 PM

RAP4 = Quian Wei = Bas rip-off chinese junk. This and some of the rap 4 guns are somewhat of original design, but everything they have made in the past is total, unequal junk.

El Gringo 04-11-2008 01:54 PM

If you can find one for less than $50 and don't mind tinkering with it, then go for it.

Azzy 04-11-2008 02:30 PM

50?

I suppose the grip and pump might be worth that... maybe the stock...

El Gringo 04-11-2008 02:58 PM

I was thinking $35 for the 45 gram tank that fits in the CAR stock. The other $15 for the lower feed tube and spring:)

daniam 04-11-2008 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Gringo (Post 368612)
If you can find one for less than $50 and don't mind tinkering with it, then go for it.

thats the thing, i have never seen one on any b/s/t forum, so that means either it is great and being hoarded, or they never sold.

how about has anyone ever modded a pump with a shotgun style design like this one?
i have seen the duckslide, and that thing is a work of art and a testament to what someone can create when properly motivated.

PBChappy 04-11-2008 03:37 PM

i dumped mine for $45 on AO god it sucked so bad

Marauder_Pilot 04-11-2008 03:42 PM

Yeah, out of the box, they suck rocks. If you follow Russc's guide, then it'll be a gun worth using. Otherwise, save your pennies and wait out for a KP when one comes up on the forum (Alternately, you can go mug c6quad or Latoolman, they've both got a billion :rolleyes:)

nunrleft 04-11-2008 04:01 PM

So is the RAP68 and the RAM68 the same marker?

RAM68
https://www.uttings.com/categories/sh...rker/pbr50.jpg

RAP68

Schmitti 04-11-2008 04:17 PM

Yes.. one in the same.

E

Chemical-X 04-11-2008 04:35 PM

I will agree with the statement that out of the box they are horrid. I have not used one that was upgraded in anyway though.

The one I used chopped like it was built to do so. The loading process is slow and tricky until you get the hang of opening the (under) breech After you get the hang of opening the breech its only nominally faster. Paint must still be fed one round at a time into the magazine. The longer versions may be able to stock more paint but will hamper your mobility if you play in any type of confined courses or postitions.

foldadoom 04-11-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemical-X (Post 368780)
I will agree with the statement that out of the box they are horrid. I have not used one that was upgraded in anyway though.

The one I used chopped like it was built to do so. The loading process is slow and tricky until you get the hang of opening the (under) breech After you get the hang of opening the breech its only nominally faster. Paint must still be fed one round at a time into the magazine. The longer versions may be able to stock more paint but will hamper your mobility if you play in any type of confined courses or postitions.

your missing the point they are hard to fload because its ment to load like a shotgun (hence the milsim) yes I agree the internals are cheaply made, I have not had any problems with mine (or the dozen or so I see floating around) , RAP4 has nothing to do with them they are made by APS in china same as all the .43 markers that RAP4 sell (can not vouch for the .68 mag feed guns)
c

Schmitti 04-11-2008 05:23 PM

RAP has a lot to do with them... they are a major distributer ;)

E

Azzy 04-11-2008 05:57 PM

Fact that they are based off of chinese ripoffed designs has a lot to do with it too.

I had a Rap4 M4 and an S4. Both made with the same tolerances, craftsmanship and materials.

For those not familiar with the S4, they are infamous for barely working.

El Gringo 04-11-2008 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBChappy (Post 368708)
i dumped mine for $45 on AO god it sucked so bad

Mine all mine:) She shall work or die in a pile

Chemical-X 04-11-2008 06:49 PM

No I am not missing the point. I undestand that they load like a conventional shotgun, They however do not load like a normal paintball gun. And on a shotgun I am not aware of a door that must be flipped out of the way so it could be loaded.

Azzy 04-11-2008 07:30 PM

Correct, but it is as close as you get.

The normal shotgun tube-to-breech travel mechanisms are not friendly to soft liquid filled things.

russc 04-11-2008 07:36 PM

Gringo, if you get sick of it let me know. I'd be happy to pick up another for tinkering.

fwiw, I paid $200 for mine and overall I think it was a fair price. I mean, come on! It's a nelson - a nelson with mostly proprietary parts, yes, but it is serviceable with some effort.

foughtwolf 04-11-2008 10:28 PM

Would there be any way to make it fully Nelson compatible?

russc 04-11-2008 11:12 PM

Nope, the hammer and bolt assembly is considerably smaller in diameter, small enough to fit down the barrel.

foughtwolf 04-12-2008 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russc (Post 369042)
Nope, the hammer and bolt assembly is considerably smaller in diameter, small enough to fit down the barrel.

Bah! Nothing a good lathe wouldnt fix.:gunsfiring:

russc 04-12-2008 10:54 PM

I'm pretty sure an extended bolt would be the easiest way to fix the gun's breakage problems. You'd just have to make it so it still feeds reliably while pushing the ball all the way into the breech.

foughtwolf 04-12-2008 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russc (Post 369735)
I'm pretty sure an extended bolt would be the easiest way to fix the gun's breakage problems. You'd just have to make it so it still feeds reliably while pushing the ball all the way into the breech.

Maybe a bit of a curve on the bottom, if it feeds like I believe it does.

What about the powertube? Isnt it some stamped metal or brass?

russc 04-13-2008 12:24 PM

The powertube is steel where it attaches to the cupseal, and on the outside of the valve there appears to be a brass tube that screws onto it to extend it.

foughtwolf 04-13-2008 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russc (Post 370003)
The powertube is steel where it attaches to the cupseal, and on the outside of the valve there appears to be a brass tube that screws onto it to extend it.

Hmm, thats not as bad as I feared, I seemed to remember it being some very cheap pressed metal.

foldadoom 04-13-2008 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azzy (Post 368907)
Correct, but it is as close as you get.

The normal shotgun tube-to-breech travel mechanisms are not friendly to soft liquid filled things.

yea but considering they are made for rubber rounds (as a training tool) then its no surprise they get the odd break, I bought mine for a sniper (god I hate that) lets say bolt action, conversion, yes I feel the parts are poorley made (ok lets say over priced for what you get) but they are actually pretty fun to play with.

brycelarson 04-13-2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foster (Post 368516)
Mine has been a rollercoaster ride, Russ fixed the breech break problem...But the process requires sear work. I love how it feels but cant trust it.

the thing does look and feel really, really cool.

Arsenal 04-14-2008 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniam (Post 368688)
thats the thing, i have never seen one on any b/s/t forum, so that means either it is great and being hoarded, or they never sold.

Well, I've never put mine up for sale because I actually want to get it working well, now that I know it can be done (thanks, russc!). But maybe I'll actually get around to selling it now, as it keeps slipping down my list of projects to finish...

One of my ideas was to see if Python could make a set of their breech sizers to fit it... That would pretty definitively solve the rollout problem, I think.

As far as the gun itself, pretty much everything everyone has already said is accurate (well, except for the not worth $50 part). I've actually never had a breech break with mine, so maybe I've been lucky. But otherwise, it's not something you'd want to try and use in a game right out of the box.

But if I can get it working reliably... Damn, is it cool to shoot.

WreckingCrew 04-18-2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brycelarson (Post 370192)
the thing does look and feel really, really cool.

I can concur with this now only if it worked good