mcarterbrown.com  

Old 08-27-2017, 03:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
My currently unnamed new game system: discussions on dice

So back to that new game system I want to build. Lets talk about dice.

Now I know I want my system to use dice. No cards, no rock paper scissors, no coin flips, most certainly not "diceless", and no odd ball decision making system just to be unique.

Just a simple state action, roll dice, success or failure.

Well, maybe not quite that simple. D&D is that simple most of the time. You got a target number you need to exceed, you roll one die, add bonuses, and you either succeed or fail (with occasional critical success or failure on a 20 or 1 respectively).

I personally like having a scale of success. Did you succeed a little, or a lot? Makes the story more interesting. White Wolf systems tend to allow for this. Roll a bunch dice, everything equal or higher to a target number succeeds, one success can mean you just barely did it, more successes can mean you did it better. So you got 3 players jumping over a deep hole. Player 1 gets two successes, makes the jump and lands near the edge. Player 2 gets six successes, does a double flip with a twist and lands on one foot 5 feet past the hole. Player 3 gets just one success, almost falls in but catches the ledge at the last moment and is now hanging by his fingers.

The down side, potential for huge piles of dice rolling around the table. I've seen characters in the Aberrant system rolling 15 dice at a time. While this can be entertaining, it can also get annoying and take up a lot of room, hard for some players chilling in a living room to roll this many dice.

So one idea I had was a simple 2 dice system. Say d20/d10. The first is rolled to see if you succeed. The second is how much you succeeded or failed.

So a high d20 and a low d10 means you succeeded a little. A high d20 and a high d10 means you succeeded incredibly. A low d20 and a low d10 means you failed a little. And a low d20 and a high d10 means you've failed spectacularly. In combat this works out to the d20 says if you hit or not, the d10 is your damage, and in the case of a miss how much damage you do to whatever is behind your target. In non-combat rolls this works very well for extended actions, say hacking a computer, where one might need 50 points worth of successes to break in to a system, with each success adding up points and possibly each failure subtracting points (maybe only on a roll of 1).

Not sure how I want to do a contested roll (character roll vs another character roll) yet. These can be avoided, but I do like how it can make defensive actions feel more active.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Money Pits 'R Us

Are you going to apply a stat modifier?

A system like IKRPG (which is 2d6 + stat) limits some of the randomness, which has actually led to some groups I've run having more fun.

I like the 'how much you've failed/succeeded' D10 idea, I'm just less a fan of high levels of unpredictability.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Deplorable...

i've played a lot of D&D but mostly table-top games like axis and allies.
the A&A games some times come down to just one huge attack with many 6-sided dies; way too random.

i'd stay away from 6-sided dies and randomness to determine the game; unless the randomness was supposed to be random...

we had a "cool" rule in D&D that if you rolled a 1 on an attack, you would have to roll another die to see how "bad" your attack was.
you could break your weapon, hurt yourself or even another player.
the most ever epic miss was when i killed the NPC that was our cleric by knowingly throw a weapon near him.
i rolled a 1 to miss my normal attack and then roll a 20 to critically hit him and subsequently kill him...

past & present https://www.freewebs.com/non-inflammable/

my feedback: https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Barrack Hussein Obama: The biggest fraud ever perpetrated upon the American people

Last edited by freedom; 08-27-2017 at 08:25 AM.
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Legal Eagle

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
i've played a lot of D&D but mostly table-top
we had a "cool" rule in D&D that if you rolled a 1 on an attack, you would have to roll another die to see how "bad" your attack was.
you could break your weapon, hurt yourself or even another player.
the most ever epic miss was when i killed the NPC that was our cleric by knowingly throw a weapon near him.
i rolled a 1 to miss my normal attack and then roll a 20 to critically hit him and subsequently kill him...

lol oops HAHAHA

Feedback +38/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
Click here to pay me via Paypal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbyrne233 View Post
Are you going to apply a stat modifier?
Probably both an attribute and skill modifier. Or maybe this weird idea I have of no skill modifier, but multiple attributes added together based on the skill. Still fleshing out that idea and will cover that in another post later.

Quote:
A system like IKRPG (which is 2d6 + stat) limits some of the randomness, which has actually led to some groups I've run having more fun.
Sounds similar to a game I just picked up, Planet Mercenary, which is Skill + 3d6. Though in that game the third d6, called the Chaos die, is there to actually add randomness. You draw from a deck of odd effects whenever it's the highest rolled die. In my game I'm trying to limit the number of needed accessories to play.

Personally (and it's my game so of course my preferences take precedence
) I'm not a fan of ever removing all the randomness. There should always be the "potential" to fail.

Now this brings up an issue. On a d20+whatever roll, if you are assuming a 1 will always fail, that's a 5% failure rate. That may be too high.

Ok, new idea. Roll d20+whatever, on a 20 roll it again and add, giving a low level or skilled character the chance to do something epic but only if he rolls really good twice. A 20+20 means automatic success, but there's only a 0.25% percent chance of that happening on any roll (assuming I remember my statistics correctly). On a 1 roll it again and subtract, meaning the high level or skill character just might fail that easy task, but it's mathematically improbable. And if the total roll manages to be zero or less (say 19+d20, roll a 1, then subtract a roll of 20), then that's a horrible failure. A 1-20 roll means automatic failure, but again, only a 0.25% chance of that happening.

Or, I could use the d10 the player is already rolling. Cuts down on the number or rerolls. On a 20 add your d10, on a 1 subtract your d10. Makes it a bit less of an impact, but doe slightly increase the chance of auto fail or auto succeed (to 0.5%)

Old 08-29-2017, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
All Hail Harb!

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
check out Fantasy Flight Games RPG dice system. I've played pretty much every RPG made and it's my favorite dice system to date. It came out with Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
check out Fantasy Flight Games RPG dice system...
The Narrative Dice System? Looks rather nifty, and definitely appears to going for the same idea I have, but unfortunately goes against the "no specialty accessories" design I'm striving for.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
All Hail Harb!

Send a message via AIM to Crimson Death

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
The Narrative Dice System? Looks rather nifty, and definitely appears to going for the same idea I have, but unfortunately goes against the "no specialty accessories" design I'm striving for.
yup that's it. What do you mean by no specialty accessories?
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Well, that system uses it own special dice. I don't currently own any of those, and I don't believe they are currently available at my local game shop.

But even my nephew, who hasn't role played yet, has a few d20s and d10s from playing MTG.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

A (dungeon master) screen that I obtained as part of the tabletop games genre had a "modifier table" for the extreme d20 rolls, much as you describe. It was a rather cool tool to use. Came from some magazine that's name escapes me now. It had all manner of lists and modifiers that came in super handy in a pinch.

I have always been a fan of one die rolls rather than multiples at the same time. Part of what made the game was the random chance, much like in real life. Characters with good dexterity and stamina often did much better with effective "1" rolls being impossible with modifiers. At the same time, it wasn't uncommon for that weakling magic user to stumble, fall, bumble, or even die from otherwise trivial happenings on the adventure.
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » Off-Topic » RPG - Table Top Games