mcarterbrown.com  

The Season of Walzmas Tis the Season - Come inside and join in!

Old 12-06-2019, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Photography buffs! The Season of Doxmas is Upon You!

I am giving away, not a paintball gun, not a barrel, not some cheap trinket I fished out from under the workbench...

But my four thousand dollar professional photojournalists' camera.

That's right, I'm giving away my one-owner Canon 1D Mark IIn. I bought it brand-new in 2006 from B&H Photo, and the total cost by the time it hit my doorstep was something like $4,053.

I've had a great deal of fun with it over the years, and have taken some great shots with it (and taken some hits with it ) and it's still in basically perfect condition. There's some brassing of the hot shoe (of course) a small nick in the cover for the rear screen, and it's a little dirty on the outside.

But it's still 100% mechanically and electronically functional. I'm pretty sure it only has around 30K shutter actuations, although Canon warranties it for 100K. (And, it's worth noting, my one-year-older Rebel, which is a much cheaper camera, has over 150K shutter actuations and is still going strong- that's what I used to take those pictures. )

I will include all four batteries- two originals that don't hold a charge for long (a day or two at best) and two aftermarkets I bought a little over a year ago- the charger, the owner's manual, the original box, the hand-strap shown (maybe the shoulder strap if I can find it, but it's proving elusive at the moment) and a 2GB SanDisk "Ultra II" CF card that I bought with it back in '06.

About this time last year, I upgraded to a much newer 1DX, and so I don't need this one anymore.

But, being an older model, there's not much interest in it- they sell for about $250 to $400 depending on accessories.

However, it's still an 8 megapixel camera that takes tack-sharp photos (if you do your job ) that I've blown up to 18" x 24" and you can still damn near read the serial number off the guy's marker. It'll also take eight frames per second for those of you that want to get some good on-field action shots, the good batteries last for several thousand shots, and between an about 8GB CF and a 32GB SD (I think the biggest of each it'll hold) it can take something like 3,000 photos before reloading.

Sorry, no video capabilities.

Now, the primary requirement to entering is that you already have to have a Canon camera, and ideally, a spare Canon lens. (Sorry, I don't have a spare I can include. I still have three other Canons I need 'em for. )

The secondary requirement is you need to have some photos online I can check out- something that's accessible to somebody that doesn't have a Facebook account. They don't have to be paintball photos, but they do need to be good photos. I want this to go to somebody who's going to actually use it.

And now, the actual method of entry: I'm looking for The Coolest Trade.

I didn't say it had to be of equal value, it just needs to be The Coolest.

It could be paintball stuff (probably your best bet) camera gear, tools, machine shop goodies (yes, Doc is indeed a dull boy ) or something along those lines. As I mentioned in my "Secret Santa hint" entry, one of my current hobbies is collecting vintage metalworking or machine-shop books, and vintage comic books. And I don't mean Archie or Casper; I mean stuff like old Charles Addams compilations, english-language Quino books, Peter Armo, that sort of thing.

Stuff I don't need includes video games (no time to play) computer parts or accessories (have a roomful) artwork (nowhere left to hang or display it) or anything downloadable.

Post your entries here, telling me what kind of photographer you are, how long you've been doing it, what you have owned, what you currently own, a link to your gallery (or links to individual favorite photos- that you took, it should go without saying ) and finally what cool item you're offering.

I'll be doing the judging, and may call in a mod if it's a tight choice. I also reserve the right to not award the prize for whatever reason- although that's just CMA. I do, in fact, want to give this away.

The winner is entirely up to me- I'm looking for somebody with a good photographic eye, and a cool/clever/interesting trade offer.

I'm not looking for the most "bang for my buck", I'd be more interested in a single Charles Addams (assuming I don't already have it ) than a boxful of mid-2000's Marvel comics.

I may also offer some consolation prizes for nonwinning entrants. That's just the kind of guy I am.

A winner will be picked next Friday, the 13th, probably late in the evening, and the camera mailed out on the 16th.

So get those gears rolling, and have a safe and Wonderful Doxmas!

Doc.
The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Does anyone read this?

As cool as this is.... it doesn't really follow the spirit of Walzmas that I can see.

You want to trade your camera for something?
And God turned to Gabriel and said: ďI shall create a land called Canada of outstanding natural beauty, with majestic mountains soaring with eagles, sparkling lakes abundant with bass and trout, forests full of elk and moose, and rivers stocked with salmon. I shall make the land rich in oil so the inhabitants prosper and call them Canadians, and they shall be praised as the friendliest of all people.Ē

ďBut Lord,Ē asked Gabriel, ďIs this not too generous to these Canadians?Ē

And God replied, ďJust wait and see the neighbors I shall inflict upon them.Ē

My Feedback

My Collection
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
As cool as this is.... it doesn't really follow the spirit of Walzmas that I can see.
-That's why I titled it Doxmas.

Quote:
You want to trade your camera for something?
-Yes, exactly. It's more of a not-so-secret-Santa than a free giveaway.

It's old-ish, but still a high end camera that will work very well for a beginning or experienced photographer who maybe hasn't been able to afford something like that for him or herself.

As it was, I sold a bunch of stuff to help afford that thing back in the day. The well-used 1DX I bought to replace it was half the cost and it still nearly broke the bank. (And the only reason I bought it was I was helping out a friend who seriously needed the money.)

And, I wanted a more interesting contest than "pick a number" or "guess a weight" or "guess the number of [whatever]".

You'll note I'm not looking for "value for value"- the trade offering doesn't have to have the same worth as the camera. The last two Charles Addams books I got from a secondhand store were maybe $4 each, and I may very well wind up trading this camera for something like that.

In other words, I want somebody to put some thought into their entry. It's not just a "Woo! Free stuff! Sign me up!" I want this camera to go to somebody who will use it, not who'll just brag to their friends "hey look what I got!" and leave it at home because their iPhone is easier to carry.

Doc.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
No.

PPS Fan
CCI Phantom Fan
Pretty cool. I totally lusted after one of these back in the day. I still shoot my firmware hacked 400D from around the same era. Well, when I need to take a decent picture. Most of the time these days I just grab a point-and-shoot or cell phone for quick shots.
William the Third is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Trekkie

I will trade a good vice. 24 bucks to 4000? Ive seen better.

That being said, if you call yourself out on a bounce shot (knowing it was skill that hit you and "luck" that saved you) , you may qualify for sainthood
-Mithuna

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/...-feedback.html
mlzplayer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Formerly lancecst

CCM Fan
Iíd be interested in the camera. I currently have a Canon T6i and I do enjoy it. However it would be nice to have a full frame camera that my 10-24 lens can live on. It works good on the T6i however I donít get true wide pictures due to the crop sensor.

I primarily use my T6i as a vacation camera. Iíve used it in London and Hawaii so far. Next year I will be bringing it to London and Paris. I also take it hiking from time to time. Mostly when I know Iím going to be somewhere that has interesting rock formations or scenic views.

Here are a few pictures from this yearís vacation to Hawaii.

Sunrise on the big island
3188133022289300972_IMG_1189.jpg

Long exposure shot of the stars also on the big island.
8974405773553553801_IMG_1348.jpg

Person cliff jumping at the southern most point of the USA
-3238265591781305704_IMG_1268.jpg

Luau fire dancer
8317680428701016014_IMG_1180.jpg

Sunset in Honolulu
4341925147574562741_IMG_1353.jpg

A shot of the moon I took. This was 10 photos stacked together. I canít remember the programs name that stacks and aligns them.
IMG_0593.jpg

For a trade Iíll offer you a nice assortment of my fresh and delicious honey. A bottle from each extraction as well as a jar of creamed honey.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Best offer so far.

But I will point out that that the IIn isn't full-frame. The only full-frame from back then was either the 1DS, or the then-not-yet-released 5D. The Mark IIn is a 1.3 crop factor.

Doc.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Mad Science of Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLachance75 View Post
However it would be nice to have a full frame camera that my 10-24 lens can live on.
-Oh, and the Canon 10-22 (which I assume you mean) is an EF-S lens, and should only be used on EF-S cameras.

Technically it'll physically fit on the EF bodies, but the lens extension will hit and possibly damage the mirror when you shoot.

I did read an article years ago about a guy cutting down the back of a cheap 18-55 "kit" lens (which you can find by the bushel these days) to get a cheap "super wide" lens for an EF body, but such surgery is not recommended, and you wind up with "vignetting" (dark corners of the image) since the lens is meant for the smaller 1.6 crop sensors.

Doc.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Formerly lancecst

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsMachine View Post
-Oh, and the Canon 10-22 (which I assume you mean) is an EF-S lens, and should only be used on EF-S cameras.

Technically it'll physically fit on the EF bodies, but the lens extension will hit and possibly damage the mirror when you shoot.

I did read an article years ago about a guy cutting down the back of a cheap 18-55 "kit" lens (which you can find by the bushel these days) to get a cheap "super wide" lens for an EF body, but such surgery is not recommended, and you wind up with "vignetting" (dark corners of the image) since the lens is meant for the smaller 1.6 crop sensors.

Doc.

You are correct it is the 10-22 which is an ef-s. I didnít realize it wouldnít fit. Shows how much I know about photography stuff.

I will remove myself from the running then.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Doc, thanks for offering such a great item!

I tend to shoot either macro or with a 15mm fisheye lens. I have a whole range of lenses but mostly use those two. Been shooting since the early 80ís. I own a lot of Canon lenses, flash, macro ring flash, extension tubes, etc.

I shoot with an EOS 20D, the only digital camera I have ever owned. Hereís a photo of some water drops taken with the MP-E 65mm 1-5x lens. I took this in the studio by placing the drops on a sheet of glass and lighting from below using light reflected off metallic gift wrapping paper. Cleaned up the dust in Photoshop, but thatís all.

Iím looking for more images, particularly some of my better fisheye/wide angle shots. Our house flooded a few years ago and then we moved, so some things were lost and the rest isnít unpacked and sorted yet. Hopefully there are files on my old computer in the basement. But hereís some crabs just relaxing.

I also like taking long exposures at night, but I donít have any great ones to share yet.

It looks like the Canon 1D Mark IIn has a larger sensor than my 20D, which would be great for me since my 15mm fisheye isnít really 15mm on my camera. I would like to be able to get just a little wider without buying another lens.

My trade offer, pick a category or mix and match:

Comic books or novels: I donít have any Addams, but now I want some. Mine are mostly from the 80ís, mostly Punisher comics and graphic novels.

Photography: I have a large box of camera gear I donít use. You probably wonít use it either.

Markers: The trick here is thinking of one that you would like. I have a Sheridan pump or a Minimag you might like.

Paintballs: Solid FS practice rounds, regular FS rounds, Atomic Pickle whiffle-ball style rounds, all in 10 round tubes with caps. Iíll throw these in for fun.

Odd item: Bionic Ear parabolic dish microphone, I have one dish, 3 microphones and one set of headphones.

https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Phantom Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » Paintball » The Season of Walzmas